Business Studies - D
    Maths - E
    English - D
    English Lit - E
    Geography - C
    Art - D
    Graphics - F
    ICT - F

Oh yes, what a **** hole my school was, I always remember what out IT lessons where on, football, no one I failed.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I actually had to dig my certificates out to find half of these, and to think that only a few years ago, my whole world seemed to revolve around doing them. I don't even put secondary education on my CV any more! Still I suppose they were a means to an end.

1992 - GCSE History and Appreciation of Music - C
    1993 - GCSE Maths - A
    1994 - GCSE Chemistry, Physics, Geography, German - A
    1994 - GCSE English Lang, English Lit, Biology, History, CDT - B
    1994 - AO Maths - C
    1996 - A Levels: General Studies - B, Physics - C, Chemistry, Maths - D
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Got GCSE's in 05, straight A's and A*'s.
    At A level, A's in History, Economics, Politics and Business Studies.

I get good grades, but it's really not a determinant of success.

I know someone who averaged his way through academia, and started his own business. He alreay earns consierably more than 40k a year at 21.

Don't let your results determine your success
    (unless you got 100%, in which case, keep up the good work!)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Another really good thread.

When can we do....

How many friends have you got?
    How much money do you have?
    How many sexual partners have you had?

Or, the inevitable (though sexist) How long is your erect penis?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    GCSE - Average
    A-levels - Average
    Degree - Average
    Drinking abilities - A*

Therefore I have decided to do an MBA, its got to involve more drinking - hasn't it???
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Am I the only person on a bike that only got CSE's
    ( for those of you too young, this was a qualification to prove that I did actually attend a school and is worth slightly less than a sheet of Andrex)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Maybe I should qualify:

teachers are getting better and better at getting their pupils to achive good grades at A level...

Fair comment, but if you subscribe to the, "get your ticket" system we seem to live in.

It seems to me that the biggest single difference that is definitely true and definitely an advantage that today's pupils have over my A levels 20 odd years ago is the modular nature, and the higher number of shorter exams.

My cohort usually sat 3 A levels, all at the end of year 2, with mostly written exams lasting 3 hours! If you were unlucky you had 2 x 3 hour exams in a day. And if you blew it, you needed to stay on the next year to retake.

Gaining an A level, via AS and A2 papers, taken in 1.5 hour exams, with much more modular nature (so can take staggered exams in jan, june, jan, june over the 2 years) is a massive advantage. More chance to resit most of the papers too.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    DCowling wrote:

No but this is a self selecting survey
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    jim453 wrote:

When can we do....

1: More than you, grumpy paws!
    2: Not enough!
    3: 4, not counting the blow up doll...
    4: You tell me, you saw it last :P

*giggle*
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    mr_si wrote:
    DCowling wrote:

No but this is a self selecting survey

Not sure what you mean by that but will take it as a compliment :?
  • jim453
    Bunneh wrote:
    Left in '92, dumb as a post.

And not a great deal of progress since.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    troll_feed2.jpg

...oh dang it...
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I got History - C, Geography - C and Psychology - D back in '06

Just bumped into someone at work who got their results today. I asked how she did and she simple muttered "alright" as if to hint she hadn't done too well. When I enquired further she told me she had got 2 A* (apparently you can get A* at a level now!) and 2 As.

I didn't tell her mine lol
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jim453 wrote:

When can we do....

Sorry to ask, but i think you are taking the mick out of my thread, are you ?

Had to ask because as you can see from my results I am not very clever..... :wink:
  • I got 1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs at GCSE

I then got 2 Cs and 1 B at A level

I then got a 2:1 BA hons degree

During which time I got financially raped. If I could do it all again I'd leave school at 16, go to work, and climb the ladder WITHOUT the debt. I left uni 6 years ago and its still costing me a fortune in loans etc.
    Giant Rapid 3
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    PBo wrote:
    Maybe I should qualify:

teachers are getting better and better at getting their pupils to achive good grades at A level...

Fair comment, but if you subscribe to the, "get your ticket" system we seem to live in.

It seems to me that the biggest single difference that is definitely true and definitely an advantage that today's pupils have over my A levels 20 odd years ago is the modular nature, and the higher number of shorter exams.

My cohort usually sat 3 A levels, all at the end of year 2, with mostly written exams lasting 3 hours! If you were unlucky you had 2 x 3 hour exams in a day. And if you blew it, you needed to stay on the next year to retake.

Gaining an A level, via AS and A2 papers, taken in 1.5 hour exams, with much more modular nature (so can take staggered exams in jan, june, jan, june over the 2 years) is a massive advantage. More chance to resit most of the papers too.

It's always tougher in days of yor... :roll:

I bet the grade entries for university places and the number of people you are competing with was plenty less than it is now.

On the whole, getting into university is much more competitive than it used to be, and given the 'grade inflation' that people talk about, what you do alongside your A levels counts for a lot more.

Good students are not just getting the grades, they're doing lots of other stuff alongside.

I doubt it's any easier to get into a good university.
  • I doubt it's any easier to get into a good university.

In my view, its too easy to get into uni today. "mature" (mid 20s in some cases) students can get in if they demonstrate that they 'really want it' via interview.

Also, don't forget that you can get 60% of everything wrong at uni and you STILL get a degree. If that were true in the workplace...........!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Five "O"levels in 1962, another in '63, another in '64 plus an "A" level, then another "A" level and an "O"level the next year. I then spent eight years aquiring a professional qualification that supported me for the past forty years. All with the benefit of state assistance. No chance of doing anything similar these days. I was part of a "golden generation" with the help of the state and the prospect of full employment in rewarding jobs for life.

Good luck to everyone on the road to fulfilment these days, it is a great deal harder.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    nobody here with a PhD then..?

thickos....
  • Anonymous
    I have a Bsc..

Bronze Swimming Certificate. :lol:

I'll get me coat.....
  • jim453
    dmclite wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

When can we do....

Had to ask because as you can see from my results I am not very clever..... :wink:

Didn't need to see your results though I appreciate your candour.
  • Anonymous
    jim453 wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

When can we do....

Didn't need to see your results though I appreciate your candour.

No worries, although, you still haven't answered the question............You do seem a little serious though, not as precious as Rick Chasey(aka teagar), or am I wrong on that front as well ?
  • jim453
    I can't lie. I find the thread very irritating. Not even sure why.

But what do I know?
  • Anonymous
    jim453 wrote:
    I can't lie. I find the thread very irritating. Not even sure why.

But what do I know?

Dunno, everyone was having a good time, jovially swapping stories of exams and you come in with your little black rain cloud and rain on it. Never mind, eh ? Doesn't really matter and its only 3 pages in. At least I didn't ask an average speed/shimanoorcampag/carbon question, thats something in itself.
    :wink:
  • jim, there are people that can help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmCEQVcN ... re=related
    Giant Rapid 3
  • jim453
    You're absolutely right. No need for me to post on a thread that irritates me.

In fact, I'm shamed into a reply:

I have 8 gcse's (5 A's and 3 B's)
    4 A levels all grade B

There. That was strangely liberating.

Now, about that photo of my erect penis.......
  • And after all, do you know what time it is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoQ0HyXA82Y
    Giant Rapid 3
  • I am reading for a PhD.

Just two comments that relate to previous posts.

Universities do not fail students readily as then we lose the tuition fees for that student. The course costs are very similar (for most degrees) irrelevant of the number of pupils so high numbers help.

A-levels are of a significantly lower standard year-on-year in mathematics and physics. The level is forcing all universities to lower their early years programs to accommodate this.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Is it true at uni you only fail if you're a lazy bum that does not want to succeed and actively tries to fail?
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    freehub wrote:
    Is it true at uni you only fail if you're a lazy bum that does not want to succeed and actively tries to fail?

No, many fail because of that but lots also fail as the idea of "self study" isn't used properly. If you just rock up to the lectures and don't do the background work don't expect to sail through. You have to put in more work than was required at A level / college.

What i'm trying to get at is that you can fail even if you think you are trying to do the work but you don't realise the extra amount you need to be doing.

Although you could be a jammy little bugger like me and sail through doing not much and still pass.........I don't recomend that option