Would You Want Cancellara to Win TT + Road Worlds?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Cancellara is again targeting both the World TT and Road races and has a better chance of winning both than any rider since maybe Indurain.

So, would you like to see him win both or someone else win the road or tt races?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,606
    If he deserves it that why not?

As a Boonen fan, it's tougher to like Canc at the moment, and of course, if he were to win the RR title, I'd naturally be claiming he won it without his main rival...

Which of course is largely b0llocks.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Will the batteries last for two events?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    LangerDan wrote:
    Will the batteries last for two events?

They did last year. He just showed his hand to his rivals and they sat on him.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    If he can do it then it would be an amazing achievement.

I've always admired Cancellara, although his arrogant behaviour during the Ardennes stage of the tour has tempered my enthusiasm for him somewhat.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • sparticus fan! :D
  • inkyfingers
    sparticus fan! :D

Cycling Fan.... :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    I've always admired Cancellara, although his arrogant behaviour during the Ardennes stage of the tour has tempered my enthusiasm for him somewhat.

Please explain
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949

Please explain

I think he's talking about the fact that he took it upon himself to negotiate a no-sprint at the end of a stage where the sprinters wanted to sprint.

Despite being the yellow jersey it wasn't really his place to decide what the sprinters teams wanted.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102

Please explain

Pretty obvious really.

Cancellara took the unilatteral decision to neutralise the race, 'cos his team leader had crashed behind - no doubt having had the idea put to him by Bjarne Riis down his earpiece, citing the old chestnut of 'rider safety' as his concern?! And not content with that, he also insisted the peleton didn't sprint for Green Jersey points!

Great for Saxo Bank, pretty crap if you're one of the GC riders who managed to stay upright and aviod crashing; a sprinter who had worked his ass off all day to contest the finish and gain points on his rivals (ie Hushovd) and pretty dissapointing if you're a fan, who's spent the best part of the day waiting in the rain for a stage finish, only to experience the bunch coasting home at 20kmph.

Funnily enough, he was less gracious the next day as he nailed it and towed Andy Schleck over the cobbles, whilst crashes and punctures caused various splits in the bunch behind. Includign the Jellow Jersey of Sylvain Chavanel.

I used to be a big fan, but likewise, following the Tour, not so much.
  • rick_chasey
    Takes 2 to tango in fairness.

I'm sure if Van Summeren decided to neutralise the stage it wouldn't happen.

Shows how much respect Canc has within the peleton.
  • inkyfingers
    dulldave wrote:

Please explain

I think he's talking about the fact that he took it upon himself to negotiate a no-sprint at the end of a stage where the sprinters wanted to sprint.

Despite being the yellow jersey it wasn't really his place to decide what the sprinters teams wanted.

Exactly. I could understand him wanting to try and get the peloton back together after all the crashes but once they were together they should have raced to the end as normal. I would have been even more angry if i'd been stood out in the rain for ages only to see the bunch roll in like they were going shopping.
  • inkyfingers
    As for all rubbish about it being a dangerous course....OK, it rained but I don't recall Saxo Bank complaining about the roads when Andy Schleck won LBL the year before.
  • rick_chasey
    As for all rubbish about it being a dangerous course....OK, it rained but I don't recall Saxo Bank complaining about the roads when Andy Schleck won LBL the year before.

Look it's pretty obvious why they did it. I don't think the team interest thing is even in question.

What impressed me was that Cancellara was able to do it in the first place.
  • I voted meh to the poll. Whilst not at Matt Rendell levels of claiming his powers are on the wain (latest real peloton podcast), I just dont think he is the man to do it.

Also the tt world championships never excite me in the same way as the rr so I dont really care who wins it (apart from Vino, never him).
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Takes 2 to tango in fairness.

I'm sure if Van Summeren decided to neutralise the stage it wouldn't happen.

Shows how much respect Canc has within the peloton.

yeah he is the alpha dog for sure

doesn't make it a good decision by default thou
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Shows how much respect Canc has within the peloton.

Maxime Bouet doesn't seem to respect him very much :D
  • Missed that... why?
  • pedro118118
    The AG2R rider who inched himself ahead of the buch at the finish to claim second place was funny tho...
  • ahhh, this is about Spa.
  • The AG2R rider who inched himself ahead of the buch at the finish to claim second place was funny tho...

I'm sure I've read an quote/interview from him where he was quite proud he'd got a 2nd place on a stage in the Tour. Very funny!
  • pedro118118
    The AG2R rider who inched himself ahead of the buch at the finish to claim second place was funny tho...

I'm sure I've read an quote/interview from him where he was quite proud he'd got a 2nd place on a stage in the Tour. Very funny!

Yep, it's story for the grandkids........................let me tell you about the time I finished 2nd at the Tour...................................................................
  • I never understood why so many riders, apparently unhappy with the decision, just accepted it and whined about it later.

If the sprinters teams wanted a sprint, then why did they go along with the neutralisation?
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Yes I would like him to. Showed great character throughout the TdeF and worked bloody hard for his team.
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • The Jack
    The Jack Posts: 52
    Absolutely. He should have won both last year. I´m not sure this years course really suits him, though.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    The Jack wrote:
    Absolutely. He should have won both last year. I´m not sure this years course really suits him, though.

Why should he have won both? He was daft enough to work too hard, too early, and talk about how much he wanted to win 2 in the press beforehand (thus guaranteeing the marking) so deserved to lose. He COULD have won both...

If he'd kept schtum and his powder dry he might have won. As it was, the winner certainly deserved it.

Strava is not Zen.