Chain suck on Scott Scale 2008 considering Double chainrings

Loafski
Loafski Posts: 9
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Hi All,

Bit new to this forum malarkey so go easy on me.

Just wondered if anyone else has suffered from severe chain suck on their 2008 Scott Scale carbon? and if so what measures did you take to fix the problem?

I was considering switching to a double chainring setup with just a slightly smaller middle and large chainrings and then a wider range cassette to reduce the chain tension and hopefully help the chainsuck problem, but can't really find any sound advise on what ratios to use etc.

Does anyone use a double chainring setup for crosscountry riding and if so what chainring and cassette setup did you go for?

Cheers

Comments

• FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Chain suck shouldnt really be blamed on the bike itself - its only the drivetrain that can alter the performance and help illiminate suck, so the question doesnt need to be aimed solely at Scott Scale owners.

Make sure the whole drivetrain is clean, including each chain link - a grubby chain can cause chain suck - hence most KMC chains now coming with better mud clearing designs purely down to trying to avoid chainsuck.

what you've suggested wont necessarily alter the chain tension, it sounds like you'll just have the same tension, but on a different ratio and less gears(if that makes sense?).

If i were you, i'd ensure everything was clean and that the chain isn't too long. If the rear mech is really relaxed all the time, try taking a link or two out of the chain to tighten things up a bit...........other than that, there are little gismo's out now that fit behind your BB and then stretch up to act as a "guard" to stop the chain dropping off/sucking
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    I've tried a couple of anti chain suck devices that bolt on over the rear chain stays right behind the bottom bracket, both of them were useless and ended up jamming the chain. Worn chain rings and old chains will not help, a shorter chain - increased tension on the derailleur will help, a well lubed chain will help, but sticky winter mud will always win. Interesting to see if the Ragley bike from shed fire will solve it, ( bigger clearance between the chain ring and seat stay)
    Ultimately go single speed or stick on an internal geared hub. Which is what i'm going to do when the new Alfine come out.
    A HammerSchmidt would solve it to I guess, though I wander what happens when they get clogged up with mud?
    Don't think, BE:
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    The only time I've ever had any problem with chain suck was down to a damaged drivetrain - usually the chain. One of the links tends to not bend as well as the rest.

How worn are your chainrings? Do they have worn parts where the chain sits? Look like shark fins.
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    Have you done loads of miles on it?

Reason I ask, i've experienced a couple of times in the past, the teeth on chain rings can hook with wear. Either replace drivetrain or file off the end of the hook for a few more miles.

**EDIT; As said above!**
  • Sticky all weather lubes can cause it. Try a wax based lube on the chain.
  • Loafski
    Loafski Posts: 9
    Thanks guys,

Turns out the middle chainring is pretty worn so I'm guessing thats probably the cause. I'll try filling the teeth for this weekends ride and then sort out a new drive train next week.