BBB TorqueFix wrench thoughts?

lef
lef Posts: 728
edited August 2010 in Workshop
Ive had a bit of a look around for a torque wrench and the BBB one seem to have good reviews. Just wondered if anyone has had any bad experiences with it...any alternatives you would suggest?

There are certainly more expensive ones but I dont fancy spending much more than £50-£60.

Comments

• ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    If you are looking for negative reviews this might not help - I've owned the BBB for 6 months and used it loads, including 2 new bike builds. I have nothing but positive things to say about it! Very simple to use and really well made at this price point.

If you do get one I doubt you will be dissapointed.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    ajb72 wrote:
    If you are looking for negative reviews this might not help
    I love that the default setting on the forum is that people are seeking to be told to "get a slightly more expensive one". :wink:
    Can't really help you with the torque wrench though, I'm in the same boat, probably going to buy the BBB one because it seems that to get better you have to spend lots and lots more.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Absolutely fine for the 50 quid they are, bits included as well, recommended!
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    It's a great set, the wrench itself goes down to about 2 Nm, so great for those low torque applications, and has a good array of bits. It is also calibrated, so you can be pretty sure it is accurate, so you can trust your delicate carbon stem and steerer to it.

I use mine a lot, a very worthwhile purchase.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • I have one too - works just fine!
  • Me too. Well worth the investment.

Having not spent significantly more on some alternatives I can't compare it but I've never had a problem with my BBB.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I have 1 too and so far it's done 2 full builds, great piece of kit.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • plug1n
    plug1n Posts: 204
    +1 had one for a couple of years - would buy again if it got lost
  • +1 the biz.... especially for the money
  • lef
    Thats great, thanks all for the recommendations, I was a little concerned that at £50 it might not be up to much but sounds like a bargain...theres one winging its way to me as I type!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not a big fan myself, mostly down to the quality (or rather lack of it) of the bits, they jsut don't compare to something like a Park allen key (although I've now bought a set of Pedros bits to use instead).
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    nferrar wrote:
    Not a big fan myself, mostly down to the quality (or rather lack of it) of the bits, they jsut don't compare to something like a Park allen key (although I've now bought a set of Pedros bits to use instead).

The bits look fine to me - just not enough of them. I'm trying to either find an adaptor or a T30 bit to fit my torque wrench and nobody sells either.

The torque wrench itself is great and certainly not worth not getting because of the bits!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lef
    Rolf F, and for anyone else looking for socket extenders and hex adaptors cromwell seem to have a good choice though you can probably find cheaper on ebay.

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/static/public ... s/1049.pdf
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    Good bit of kit. Gets used alot. Buy one.

Remember to wind the adjuster back to 0 to keep it in calibration when not in use.
  • used one in a workshop for a good while and its been just fine. you can pick um up quite reasonably priced from sites like chainreaction or bikingbits.co.uk. just worth remembering that after a year or so it may need re calibrating.