Cyclescheme and Final Payment

spongtastic
spongtastic Posts: 2,651
edited August 2010 in MTB general
well a work minion asked whether they'll be charging the HMRC values when they administer final payment and this was the response:

"We have been aware of this EIM update since March 2010 and have been shaping our end of hire process to ensure its continued compliance with HMRC ruling. Since initial guidance on the matter was published by HMRC in December 2009, Cyclescheme has been developing and testing a simplified 'Condition Assessment' (CA) process.

The HMRC Valuation Table is an administration easement, to be used if no 'contemporaneous evidence' can be supplied as to the Market Value of the bike. Cyclescheme's new Condition Assessment Process is a means of collecting the necessary evidence, and thus negates the need for the Valuation Table to be applied.

We shall be launching our new process across our client base very soon, so the administrator of your scheme will have received an email containing further information in the near future. I appreciate your patience until such time as your scheme administrator has been notified of the process and can disseminate this to staff members."
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Thanks.

But, in English? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    sounds like my HR department drafted that one
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • spongtastic
    In english,

So you don't have to pay the £250 HMRC are suggesting for a £1000 bike on top of your rental payments, Cyclescheme are coming up with a condition assessment form that will prove the bikes value is minimal.

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited August 2010
    Ahhhh.

Why can't they just say that?! :roll:

Edit: But you wouldn't have to pay the £250 anyway. You'd pay an amount agreed with your emplyer, e.g. £50. Then you'd be liable for tax on the 'benefit', so £250's worth of bike for £50, benefit of £200, so you pay income tax at whatever band you're in on that £200

Edit again: Ah, so if they say the bike was worth £60, and you paid a £50 fee, you'd only be liable for tax on that £10 difference. Now I get it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kona_matt
    excellent, thanks for the translation
  • spongtastic
    Bails - You'd also only pay the £10 off over a year, as it would be deducted from your tax code.

• kona_matt
    any idea when this is going to be applied? i'm already signed up to the scheme so would it be applicable to me or is it only applicable for those signed up after HMCR made this decision?
  • spongtastic
    I think it's applicable to anybody who's in the scheme. There's no date on the HMRC guidance.

If the scheme's administered by your employer I'd suggest you make the final payment and then suffer the tax liability, or if your employer is really nice get them to transfer the bike to you for £1, take a photo of some rusty parts in a pile and send this off to HMRC claiming the bikes worth £1. But that might be cheating.

• kona_matt
    large company so not so sure my employer would be keen on any "rule bending", in fact, we'll probably be owned by the yanks by then (buy out currently in progress) so i'm sure they'll be even less keen.

can you fake rust!? any other ideas on temporarily making a bike look really crap and worth peanuts? :wink:
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    cover it in dry roated peanuts. that would look quite rusty. also a nice protein based snack for the ride home.
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • spongtastic
    cover it in Apollo or Reebok stickers?

• projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    :lol: as long as it's not brought in before september...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Cyclescheme are coming up with a condition assessment form that will prove the bikes value is minimal.

Cyclescheme would, they make a nice wedge of every bike supplied.

Sadly, HMRC smell blood and will continue to peruse the matter until they get what they want.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Hold on, whats this condition assesment process?

Collecting the necessary evidence? What they're going to come round and do an inspection?

My employer has no clue what bike I bought, just that I had some vouchers.
  • In english,

So you don't have to pay the £250 HMRC are suggesting for a £1000 bike on top of your rental payments, Cyclescheme are coming up with a condition assessment form that will prove the bikes value is minimal.

CycleScheme have floated the self assessment idea but it will need HMRC approval. And that won't happen because everyone will rate their bike a C or a D and there's not enough manpower to do the checks to see that everyone is telling porkies.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    So to sum it up, and as I understand it.

You got your bike before jan this year, you fall into the old system of final payment. Your employer kinda decides the % of the final payment to make it yours. After that its down to new rules.

If you want to make your bike look used then I have a great idea, Use It.
    Mine is farked, paint chips all over, old rusted chain on hand, just in case, knacked seat, bent rear mech, let alone the snapped hanger.If I wasn't facing a £5 final payment and they wanted to value Cassie she would be pits.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!