inches to mm tyre sizings

markbsac
markbsac Posts: 89
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
had to nip to wilkos just for a couple of emergency tubes (going out soon and needed tubes incase of a puncture) ..cheep and cheerfull no doubt anyway they only had the tube size in inches i have a 700 x 32 tyre so the only tubes they had were 27" x 1 and a quarter...will these be ok or do i keep my fingers crossed for no puncture...cheers in advance...mark

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    markbsac wrote:
    had to nip to wilkos just for a couple of emergency tubes (going out soon and needed tubes incase of a puncture) ..cheep and cheerfull no doubt anyway they only had the tube size in inches i have a 700 x 32 tyre so the only tubes they had were 27" x 1 and a quarter...will these be ok or do i keep my fingers crossed for no puncture...cheers in advance...mark

They'll be perfect.

Cheers,
    W.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,701
    They're not technically the right size. 27" wheels are a bit smaller than 700c (which are sometimes referred to as 28" for road bikes, or 29" for mountain bikes, just to confuse people). They'll most likely do the job though.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    whyamihere wrote:
    They're not technically the right size. 27" wheels are a bit smaller than 700c (which are sometimes referred to as 28" for road bikes, or 29" for mountain bikes, just to confuse people). They'll most likely do the job though.
    Nope, sorry- 27" wheels are bigger than 700c (rim is 630mm instead of 622), but tubes are sized for a range of tyres according to their cross section, so 700 and 27 are interchangeable as long as the cross section is broadly similar. A 1 1/4" tyre is 32mm and hence identical within the bounds of sensible pedantry.

Cheers,
    W.
  • markbsac
    markbsac Posts: 89
    many thanks there 32mm wide so should be ok...cheers