HAMMERSCHMIDT, anyone ridden one??

jayson
jayson Posts: 4,606
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Ive been saving for a while now and im hopin in the next couple weeks to go shopping for a new bike now the sales are appearing everywhere.

I thought i'd settled on a bike but then i took a ride over to my local Evans to have a look and they had a Felt Redemption in there that was reduced to £1500 which is a great price when its should be £3k. It has a hammerschmidt front transmission though which until that day i'd never even seen in the flesh let alone actually ridden so im torn between this or the other bike i was thinking of.

I fully intend to get over there again next week and see if they will let me have a spin on it to see whats what but in the meantime im afta some opinions of peeps that have actually ridden one and their views.

Comments

• MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I rode a Coilair supreme at Bikeradar live with Hammerschmit and liked it, great for the extra clearance and the gear ratios worked well (I ride a double and bash anyway so used to only 2 cogs upfront). There is a very slight extra resistance in the harder gear but it really is hardly noticeable and the smaller gear felt just like a normal chainring to me.

EDIT - forgot to mention, shifting was very quick and crisp!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • I rode one at Bikeradar demo day in Cannock Chase. Supersmooth shifting, and great for chain tension but not sure if it justifies the extra cash over conventional mech's.
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • jayson
    Thank Mac, Ive read alot of reviews and the slight drag in the big ring gear concerns me a little and the fact its roughly equivelant to a 36t ring when ive been riding 32 for a long time also bothers me a little.

Im hoping a ride will help me decide whether its actually worth a punt or not cos its great bike for that kind of money.

Is it actually possible to internally change the gearing to give a smaller gear than 36t does anyone know? from what ive seen of hammerschmidt its very complicated so prob not but u neva know if u dont ask :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you have two cog sizes to chose from 22 and 24 that is the only changes possible

ratio info etc http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/t ... m-crankset
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jayson
    I thought as much, maybe sram are actually workin on a 3 ring equivelant somewhere deep in their R+D labs....
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    So the chain is running at all times on a 22T chainring? Won't that wear down awefully quickly? :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why its steel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jayson
    Kiblams wrote:
    So the chain is running at all times on a 22T chainring? Won't that wear down awefully quickly? :?

Correct there is only 1 ring, all the witch craft goes on inside using planetry gears to give the other ratio.

Dont ask me to explain how it all works cos im not an engineer and a 'planetry gear system' sounds alien to me im afraid!!
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Now I feel like a retard for saying "the smaller gear felt just like a normal chainring to me."...because it was...d'oh!!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160