Going down hill fast(er)

focusrider
focusrider Posts: 47
edited August 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Other than ride down hill more has anyone got any useful tips or locations for practising around Dartmoor? I race mainly enduros but am conscious that I am losing lots of time on technical down hills. Even better would be to share a ride or two with any 'experts'

Comments

• mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    If you are losing time downhill it may be your technique that needs looking at, and the best thing I can suggest it speaking to an expert and getting some training!

And being down here in sunny (hang on just looked outside, make that Soggy) Devon I would highly recommend Jay and Maddie Horton of Fully Sussed, they both race and also run skills courses and I think will also do 1-1 training too.

We can all suggest things to make you go faster, but without seeing you ride they may well be things that make you crash faster!

If you want a good hill to practice climbing on, the one from Scorriton up over to Clay Ford is a classic, and some of the bridlepaths near Hound Tor are most definatly techinical!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • I would definitely work on line selection alot.

Remember there may be something in the way of your best line, but often going over this barrier, such as roots or something can often help speed things up. You'll keep a better tempo. What I do recommend is doing some uphill climbing on rooty or very technical trails, and practice line selection to keep a steady tempo going up, and this oftens transfers down to your downhill parts.