Any benefit to fitting a rapid rise reverse pull rear mech ?

mattyboy199
mattyboy199 Posts: 627
edited August 2010 in MTB general
As title my mech just destroyed itself so in the market for a new one, came accross the XTR rapid rise reverse pull but unsure if or any benefit of using this ?
Show me your green bits i might buy them !

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really as your triggers will be reversed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ive got one after years of std shifting,
    takes a little getting used to, push the lever to go down the cassette rather than up,
    makes no difference to performance of the bike, but expect a few moments of peddling along and using the srong lever on the shifter and either Peddling like a Nutter or grinding to a halt lol!
    it does mean that the shifetr will match the left one in terms of pushing the lower leaver to go up the numbers but thats about it! :wink:

i only got mine because it was Cheap!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I guess the other difference is that if you snap your rear gear cable, you will automatically find yourself in the largest cassestte sprocket, rather than the smallest one....

Might help you climb out of a valley to get home, rather than have to push?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    A rapid rise rear mech is really designed for use with dual control levers and it works fantastic if u do, i have heard of people using one with regular rapid fire levers but as nick said above it changes the lever operations of the shifters.

I was very much anti rapid rise until last year when i got some dual control levers and rear mech, once it was all setup i was amazed at how smooth gear changes were, loads smoother than the SRAM gear they replaced.

I have to admit ive changed my stance on rapid rise now, its fantastic and i love DCL levers :D
  • thanks for the answers i m still using SACHs wavey shifters so would be only a change in direction.
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Big benefit - you use the spring tension to move the chain to a bigger cog - so that shift becomes easier.

Drawback is a couple of rides to adjust to the shift levers doing the opposite but it makes a lot more sense than a conventional mech (which uses the spring to move the chain to a smaller cog - which requires less effort already so why use the spring to move the mech that way?).

I've got it on my bike and swear by it - works really well...I now struggle to use the old-style mechs...

Personal choice though, I think it's the way forward.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DickBarton wrote:

Personal choice though, I think it's the way forward.

as did shimano when they brought it out mid/late ´90s but very few people liked/used it.

so they are trying again.

it has its places but.....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    DickBarton wrote:
    ......Personal choice though, I think it's the way forward.

I completely agree, with DCL levers its actually a joy to change the gears sometimes even just for the sake of doin so.

Actually that sounds really sad havin read it back again, its true though :oops: :D
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    I have one of these deraillers on my hardtail. There is enjoyment to be found in the one-press go faster gear change as you hit a descent.