Tyre collections

inbredchris
inbredchris Posts: 50
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Ok folks we all do it or at least most of us do. Collecting a bunch of tyres to store under our beds, in the shed, at the back of the garage or behind the sofa. Wherever we put them there is a good chance we probably will never use them again. Too heavy, no grip on wet rocks, drag on the road are just a few of the complaints that see them resigned to a life of collecting dust and wondering just how long they will take to decompose.

So my point is why don't we just swap them between ourselves?? Lets all post what we have lying around and get some use from them!! Might even please the other half too. Bonus!

Btw i have some high rollers and a conti vertical to get the ball rolling.......

Comments

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I have a set of Maxxis Ignitors worn to the canvas if anyone wants to offer them a good home.. /fail :twisted:
  • So what you are saying is you have a set of maxxis ignitor commuters, speedy around town but sturdy on difficult curbs.
  • I've just realised I've got a to admit a rubber feisth!

In order of adoration (seriously!)
    Schwalbe Ice Spiker (when it's thats bad then nothing else does!)
    Schwalbe Snow Stud (great on the back)
    High roller super tacky - mmmm sticky and slow, good in winter
    Continental Rubber Queen Black Chilli. Real good allrounder. No real short comings but a bit heavy. Doesnt fit some frames and forks.

Schwalble rocket Ron. Fast rolling. The only tyre Ive managaged to pinch pincture the actual tyre. £45 down the drain. Twice!

Speed king Supersonic. Fast. Fast. Fast wearing. Did I mention Fast?

Kenda Small block 8. Real nice summer tyre in the smaller sizes. The bigger ones are crap.

Kenda nevegal. Goodish all rounder but not really good at anything imo.

Schwalbe Nooby Nic. Cant think of a good thing to say ! Punctures, unpredictable, grips like vasoline.
  • You are really selling some of those :D

Keep em coming!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have a pair of unused Continental 700x25 going spare :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I have a special tyre storage hook in the garage

1 Conti MK2.2 UST - pretty worn with a small flint gash - nothing that some Stans wont seal
    1 Conti 2.4 UST MK
    1 Specialized 2bliss 2.0....some racy tread pattern
    1 Conti Raceking 2.2UST
    1 Maxxis Crossmark 2.2 UST

Current bikes running a mixture of race kings, MKs, Maxxis advantage and conti speed kings (bleuigh)
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    pair of intense micro knobbys
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A collection of tyres is an essential part of MTBing. Got some Nics, some Bontys, some Kendas and a whole pile of Maxxis that are, realistically, toast but I don't want to get rid of them 'just in case' :)
  • MattMTB
    MattMTB Posts: 95
    I have a set of lightly used Geax Barro Mountain rigid that I don't like. Don't own any more tyres yet as I'm still deciding what to replace them with. My current thinking is Maxxis high-rollers. :)
  • If anyones got a 2.4 Nobby Nic i'll happily chuck some coinage in that direction. Dont expect much though i'm always skint.
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Specialized "The Captain" Control - 2.1's
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Ok folks we all do it or at least most of us do. Collecting a bunch of tyres to store under our beds, in the shed, at the back of the garage or behind the sofa. Wherever we put them there is a good chance we probably will never use them again. Too heavy, no grip on wet rocks, drag on the road are just a few of the complaints that see them resigned to a life of collecting dust and wondering just how long they will take to decompose.

So my point is why don't we just swap them between ourselves?? Lets all post what we have lying around and get some use from them!! Might even please the other half too. Bonus!

Btw i have some high rollers and a conti vertical to get the ball rolling.......

Should have posted this 3 weeks ago :lol:

I put a collection of tyres and innertubes outside on my fence for people to take including, 2 sets of bontrager tyres and a set of Specialized 2.3 due to a lack of space. Took the shed down to make more room in the garden :(
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    .blitz wrote:
    A collection of tyres is an essential part of MTBing. Got some Nics, some Bontys, some Kendas and a whole pile of Maxxis that are, realistically, toast but I don't want to get rid of them 'just in case' :)
    Hah, I'm the same. I actually only have two spares knocking around, one is pretty much shagged and the other is a cheap tioga factory DH jobby in case I knacker up one of my good tyres.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Haha, I horde spare everything.. I have 3 x sets of bars (Easton EA70, Answer Pro Carbon DH bars & Specialized jobbies), about 6 stems (fsa, gt, random ones etc), a few seatposts and a few sets of tyres (as well as everything else, but we're all like that!)... should get round to selling some bits soon really!

Got a set of 2.1 Nobby Nics, set of Hutchinson Toro XC's, set of Schwalbe Smart Sams, and probably a few more if I looked.

I tend to give them to the soldiers/officers I work with when their commuting Mtb tyres run out, as the tyres are usually pretty worn, and suitable for the road.. (i'm the unofficial mechanic of the Barracks I work in now!)
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    .blitz wrote:
    I don't want to get rid of them 'just in case' :)

That sums it up. Although I do have a pair of super tacky swampthings that will never be shod on a bike of mine again (unless it's a massive DH thing on a uplift day) They should be the dictionary definition for 'rolling resistance'.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    hmmmnnn - if i remember correctly i have kicking around -

pair of specialized evil twins
    pair of panaracer dusters
    pair of specialized fastraks
    pair of proper old-school but hardly used tioga DH tyres
    possibly even an old panaracer smoke / dart combo too

slainte :shock: rob
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i have a conti vapor and explorer and a panaracer xc pro with blue sidewalls(all 2.1)