New Forest Rattler

mgcycleguy
mgcycleguy Posts: 292
Any forum peeps doing the New Forest Rattler on Sunday ?

... never ridden that far south, so thought I'd see what that part of the world is like... I'm doing the 79miler (apparently wind is a big issue !!!!)

Comments

• Riding around there is beautiful. Wind not always a problem, but it's seldom still. The 79miler takes in the short but snappy 25% Blissford Hill, which I'm a little unsure about with a 39/25 bottom gear.

I'm all signed up but haven't yet found a b&b for Saturday so it could all still go wrong...
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • I did the Rattler last year and am doing it again on Sunday. It's a lovely part of the country and not a particularly tough ride. The 25% Blissford Hill, that on this ride comes about 3 miles from the end (hence the Rattler title - sting in the tail!), is steep but short. I will have a 34-23 and hope that's good enough!

Looks like the wind might be an issue this weekend!
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    I'll be doing the Rattler on sunday(79)also did it last year.I ride the same roads regualy,Blissford hill is so short it's not worth worrying about.The forcast is giving moderate SW winds.Which will make the expose stretches of roads tough.The stretch before Sandy Balls(ooh err missus)will be the toughest&thats at around 70miles.But it's a very flat course with no leg breakers so not too challenging if you pace your self correctly
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I'm doing this one too (79miler).
    Looking forward to seeing the countryside and some ponies.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I heard it was called the rattler because of all the cattle grids?

The rattlesnake doesn't have a sting in it's tail. :D

I'm doing the "easy" one. On my (slicked) MTB.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Can you enter on they day?

I'm in the area on Sunday and might be allowed out for a few hours.
  • wheezee
    I'm pretty sure you can't.

It's limited to 500 riders.
  • I've signed up as its not far from home for me. I haven't ridden may sportives but does the first feed station seem a bit early in the ride @ 25 miles or is this normal for an 80 miler. Any aspirations for finishing times ?

John
  • Oh cock. That'll teach me to believe lastminute.com's press - no hotels or b&bs available near the start of the ride on Saturday night - they're full, or too dear or ask for a 2-night minimum stay.

Hey ho, was looking forward to the Rattler but 'tis not to be. Have fun, everybody!
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • I'm doing the short route, husband the long route. I had signed up for the long but a woeful lack of preparation has made me wimp out and do the soft route. We've done a couple of 60 mile sportives recently and I'm ready to get off the bike at that point. Another 20 miles on top of that + steep climb was started to play on my mind. Now I've made the decision to do the short route I'm looking forward to it alot more.

Determined not to walk up Blissford Hill. I may even shoot for a bronze time.

Luckily I have family who live about 1.5 miles from the start so we're making a long weekend of it. Sorry, no room left I'm afraid.
  • wheezee
    Oh fool. That'll teach me to believe lastminute.com's press - no hotels or b&bs available near the start of the ride on Saturday night - they're full, or too dear or ask for a 2-night minimum stay.

Hey ho, was looking forward to the Rattler but 'tis not to be. Have fun, everybody!

The New Forest must be about 90% camp site. Take a tent.
  • Airwave
    edited August 2010
    I've signed up as its not far from home for me. I haven't ridden may sportives but does the first feed station seem a bit early in the ride @ 25 miles or is this normal for an 80 miler. Any aspirations for finishing times ?

John

The first feed station is about right if yoou don't bring your own grub.The 2nd one is well placed.

Sub 4hrs-if it's not too windy
  • mgcycleguy
    I've been practicing better hydration after cramping badly on my last outing, so at 25miles I should be through both my water bottles.... determined to drink properly this time !!!

(well almost through them)
  • topmoxy
    topmoxy Posts: 138
    i had to ride this one, it almost passes my front door. looking forward to a cracking ride.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    ketsbaia wrote:

No entry on the day but you could still turn up and ride the route for free just don't be a cheeky monkey and raid the feed stations :wink:
  • mgcycleguy
    shakey88 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

No entry on the day but you could still turn up and ride the route for free just don't be a cheeky monkey and raid the feed stations :wink:

...yeah you can ride in front of me especially if its windy, I'll give you one of my energy bars to be my lead-out man ! :)
  • wheezee wrote:
    The New Forest must be about 90% camp site. Take a tent.

Since 40% of my weekends June-Sept are spent camping there, I'm well aware of that. As a non-driver, how do you propose I pack my tent, sleeping bag and Therm-a-Rest onto my Litespeed?

The prospect of teetering to and from the ride carrying kit in a 40L rucksack isn't appealing either.

Next!

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • Looking at the most recent weather report, for what its worth, then the wind isn't looking like a major issue but the rain could be.

John
  • I shall be there. It'll be my first ever sportive actually so I hope it's not too wet and horrible. 

Also hoping its not windy because this'll be the first time i've riden over 60 miles and i picked it because its fairly flat. Aiming to get round in under five hours which is doable for me if a touch ambitous with stops.

So, if you see a pony tail flapping on the back of a red and white Bianchi, say hello.
    The bike's fine, it's the engine that needs an upgrade.
  • I rode this event last year, and back again this year to review the event for cyclosport.org

It is called the Rattler becasue of all the cattle grids, and there are many. If you are doing the full distance, even a fat boy like me gets round in a decent time. You can still have a tough ride by pushing yourself. Some of the "climbs" can be devceiving, as you think the roads are flat, it is just a very undulationg route.

Blissford Hill, yep its 25%, for about 100yards or so, dont worry about it.

Start/finish and organisation was super last year, and the pasta soup with bread rolls was very welcome.

Come and say hello, i will be in the white RaceScene kit, you really can not miss me.

Howie J
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Airwave
    Airwave wrote:
    I've signed up as its not far from home for me. I haven't ridden may sportives but does the first feed station seem a bit early in the ride @ 25 miles or is this normal for an 80 miler. Any aspirations for finishing times ?

John

The first feed station is about right if yoou don't bring your own grub.The 2nd one is well placed.

Sub 4hrs-if it's not too windy

It was a bit wet but very little wind.Well organised from the parking to the start line.I did'nt stop at either of the feed stations so can't comment on those.But the signage was very good if you did'nt know the area.As was the marshalling on the major juctions-thanks to those guys&girls.The soup&roll at the end went down very well.I shall be doing this again next year as it's right on my doorstep.

Got under my target 3:48 for the 79miler :D:D:D
  • topmoxy
    3.48 , no wonder you are smiling , that was an hour quicker than me, my first sportive though and only just getting into road riding. well done though. and im happy with silver time.
    thanks to marshalls and organisers for good day. worst weather held off till i was back in the van .
    looking forward to my next one. :D:D:D
  • Renster
    Renster Posts: 21
    Cheers to everyone that took part on Sunday. It was a good day and the weather didn't spoil it too much!

Congratulations to our youngest rider - a mere 10 years old, and he stormed over the finish line. He cycled with his Mum and Grandad so there were three generations of his family out on the route! Good stuff.

Thanks again and we hope to see you all again next year.

Ren
  • Hi Renster,just to say thanks also to all marshals,weather was,nt to bad,well organised,maybe good idea next year to start 79 mile riders off first,great course .great pics on now off blissfold hill,some good tumbles.thanks again,look forward to next year.
  • Renster
    Renster Posts: 21
    Cheers Heystacky - we're going to try and get a temporary road closure for the start next year. This would mean that all riders would form a long queue at the road in front of the school.
    I'm putting my feet up for now though :o)
  • mgcycleguy
    I'd like to thank all the Marshals and support staff as well... had a good day, managed to do a ride time under 4:30 for the 79miles... even though the course was pretty flat I still found it a good challenge, especially with the iffy weather making the road surface pretty interesting in places (not to mention those cattle grids)...

... personally I never understand the obsession with Hills on some sportives... I live near the Peak district, so I know how hills can be entertaining, but nice quiet sweeping roads are great as well... I beleive both can be a test, my heart rate is just as high on a fast flat ride as it is on a slow grinding one up lots of hills :lol:

... anyway thanks to all again... God willing I'll be back again next year

MGcG
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    A very enjoyable ride even in the drizzle, and certainly the fastest time I've managed that distance in. Thanks to the blokes who dragged me along for most of it. Very good marshalling, a nice route and friendly people, and there's even a photo of me riding through a pack of donkeys in one of the cyclosport.org reviews.
    Anyone know when all the times are going to be posted or have I missed them?
  • I had a vey enjoyable ride and managed my best time for a distance ride and after the starting group I was with fragmented I spent the majority of the ride on my tod. No sign of any times or picures for this years event yet though.
  • topmoxy
    if you look on the rattler web site and follow link to the photographers website there are hundreds of pics. ( george burgess )
  • Airwave
    It took a little time for last years times to be put on the website,if i remember rightly i think i was e-mail by NFR when they were put on.But i'm getting old&my memory plays tricks on me sometimes :lol: