Eneco Tour stage 1 *spoilers*

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Apparently today's stage is a 600m uphill finish? The Eneco Tour website helpfully has no profile for today's stage.

The "Eddy Boss" fanclub on Eurosport is starting to get ever so slightly nauseating.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Really? Glad I picked EBH rather than Gripes on the PTP then (he said, speaking way too soon).

I looked at the website, saw the map of the stage route and assumed it would all be pan flat!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Oh, new thread. I was posting on yesterdays.
    Looks like Soler was involved in the crash and his CB may be broken.....
    Meersman the other on the deck
    Voigt and Barry chasing back.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    DaveyL wrote:
    Really? Glad I picked EBH rather than Gripes on the PTP then (he said, speaking way too soon).

I looked at the website, saw the map of the stage route and assumed it would all be pan flat!

As did I, but the good chaps at Podiumcafe seem to think it finishes on a hill. A Dutch hill, though, so probably not Montelupone territory. We'll find out in 30 odd km to go!
  • afx237vi
    Hmm, it does look a bit steep. Greipel might struggle here.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited August 2010
    It's a proper hill, Grebbeberg. Features in Veenendaal-Veendeaal every year. Rhenen is known for it; well, locally at least, and the route book confirms. A bit of local knowledge helps ;)
    And I'm sure Steven de Jongh knows this little loop...
  • Eurosport commentators have just realised the finish isn't flat! :oops:
    Here's the profile.
    Grebbeberg.png
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Might be worth tuning in again then. My ES online coverage kept freezing so I gave up on it.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Ouch! Bono and Ongarato go down a banking....
  • afx237vi
    Leezer crashes... riders going in every direction imaginable at that roundabout.
  • FJS
    Echelons in last 10 km!!!
  • FJS
    it's working! loads of gaps
  • afx237vi
    Good stuff from Rabo and Liquigas.
  • Rabo put the boot in and Sky seem to have been on the receiving end.
  • FJS
    Well done McEwen....
    Boasson Hagen brave but stupid....
  • afx237vi
    edited August 2010
    Interesting to see Tony Martin doing a huuuuuge turn with 2 km to go and then disappearing backwards through the peloton like a dead weight. Do HTC value stage wins over a GC placing, even outside of the TDF?
  • FJS wrote:
    Well done McEwen....
    Boasson Hagen brave but stupid....

Sky trademark. Go too soon.
    Well done to McEwen to get up that hill and take the sprint.
    Life in the old dog yet.
  • that was a nasty hill, well done robbie. sweat was dripping off him in the interview.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    afx237vi wrote:
    Apparently today's stage is a 600m uphill finish? The Eneco Tour website helpfully has no profile for today's stage.

The "Eddy Boss" fanclub on Eurosport is starting to get ever so slightly nauseating.

When I picked Greipel I took the lack of profile to mean there wasn't any hills. I've done the same on a few days as there were profiles on others. Couldn't read the parcours info so that was no help either! Also switched onto the cricket and intended to switch back with an hour to go and ended up getting on with some work and forgetting all about it! :oops:
  • afx237vi wrote:

Backstedt made up that nick name and he'll keep using it until the rest of you follow suit.

Eurosport commentators are getting worse, Brian Smith excepted.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    nice little stage

didn't bank on the finish
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    afx237vi wrote:
    Interesting to see Tony Martin doing a huuuuuge turn with 2 km to go and then disappearing backwards through the peloton like a dead weight. Do HTC value stage wins over a GC placing, even outside of the TDF?

He was given the same time as the winner so he must have picked up the pace again and didnt lose any time. Dont know how much effort that will take out of him by the end, i suppose EBH took more out of himself. Not sure it was all worth it for 12th place for Greipel though. :shock:

Geraint Thomas finished 1.10 down so i guess that's his overall hopes gone. Jurgen van den Broeck finished in that group too (was 4th overall last year)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:

I thought the common consensus was that a stage win is better for a team than an anonymous non-podium GC finish?