Mtb/Extreme Sports Photography work experience?

Ross_Davidson
Ross_Davidson Posts: 143
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Hi , i really want to be able to have the opportunity to experience Extreme Sports photography , as thats what im hoping to achieve for my future career. Just wondering does anyone know anyone who is willing to give me this opportunity , as it would help me ALOT :D

Cheers Ross
Specialized Stumpjumper Pro M5 2010 ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/77613366@N ... /lightbox/ )

Comments

• First thing to do would be to get a portfolio together.

You'd have to be visiting events to get some good snaps but dont expect anyone to take you under their wing and teach you everything they know without them seeing what your like already. Most people who do this have a natural instinct for good pics anyway

Best way to start would be get up your local trails/events and start snapping.
    Join a photography forum and get people to crit you pics and take on the advice they say and keep at it.
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    As an aspiring photographer myself (www.leighmoore.co.uk) I can tell you that there's probably only one person who's going to "give you the opportunity"... YOU.

Get out there, take pictures, submit to mags and hope somebody takes notice... But get ready for a lot of rejection and disappointment.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but that's the way it is I'm afraid.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Like the others said, just go to some extreme sports events and take some pictures.
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    Sport photography has been a hobby of mine for a while and I've sold a few shots over the years but I could never make a living at it.
    You probably know this already but with the exception of small local events there are a huge number of photographers at most sports events and they're all shooting more or less the same shots. You need to be able to bring something else to your images as well as the basic skills required.
    The cost of gear is a huge outlay too. Cut your teeth with 2nd hand gear then if your shots are decent then invest in some good glass.

Have you got any shots you could let us see ?
  • Hey dude, there are a lot of photographers out there, read bike mags and google search then politely email ones within travel distance to see if you can give them a hand :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Also worth checking out some of the user groups on Flickr.