Tyres - nobbly nic and rocket ron

hadleylyas
hadleylyas Posts: 9
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I've just bought a nobbly nic and a rocket ron and not sure which one to put up front? has anyone else got this combination or got any advice - i ride xc in a mixture of mud, dry and tarmac. thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bit of an odd combo.

but NN front RR rear,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    I use nobby nic up front i got a 2.4 snake skin Best tyre IMO :)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Got a 2.25 Nic on the front of my Rize and a 2.25 Ron on the back, the combo works ace in DRY conditions.

The Ron is lower profile and less burly than the Nic (even though they're nominally the same size) and it weighs just 480 g. Wear rate is apocalyptic but it grips & goes like nothing else in DRY conditons.

Don't go near any mud with it tho'

And as above, the 2.4 SS Nic is the best front tyre...ever!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're not that bad in the mud, I'd call Rons a good 3 season tyre, and Nics hold up fine in certain types of mud IMO, although I've always used the 2.1s.

OT Nic front Ron rear. Although the Ron is a much faster wearing tyre, which will be exaggerated on the back. Ron/Ralph would be a better f/r combination.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I'm on NN Snake Skins on both and love 'em. So far, I've found them great in all conditions.

The only concern I have is that the nobby's on the rear tyre are starting to break off, the fronts are fine.

.....and no, I never skid. 8)
    Craig Rogers