RPCC - 23 / 24 August

thebongolian
thebongolian Posts: 333
It's that time of the week again... who's around for an RPCC run this weekend?

My legs are still tired after last weekend's epic ride and I'm off to Switzerland for a sportive over the bank holiday so don't fancy anything too big. Probably around 70 miles wiith a few new roads thrown in for good measure if I can figure out a good route.

Hope to see a few people out. Weather looks grey but dry at the moment. Suggest we meet 8 am at Richmond Gate as normal.

And of course new riders are welcome (nay, encouraged) to come along. Here's what to expect...
    * Average speed of 16-18 mph - tending towards the upper end of that these days * We'll wait and regroup at the top of hills * Tea and cake stop - ususally at the top of Box Hill * If you're struggling we won't drop you and will make sure you can get to somewhere where you can get home from

Comments

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Good stuff. I'm almost certainly in - Saturday, I assume...
  • london-red
    Just been informed i'm otherwise engaged on saturday...

Anyone fancy a Sunday jaunt instead - an extra day's recovery from the CCC for those who did it.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    I'm in for Sunday - defintely can't do Saturday
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    Yep - I'm around. Anyone fancy a nice gentle 100 miler? :twisted:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=169233
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I'd love to come out, does everyone want to leave so early? 8am is killer early.

Am up for any distance esp in the 80-90 mile range.

Tyskie, looks interesting, but how busy are some of the roads, esp the one westbound from Richmond Park?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Looks like I'll be out Sunday with some other folk for a gentle pootle to the south coast so can only RPCC on Saturday

Steve - probably not 100 miles for me though tat route does look good. Would be interested in joining you as far as Windsor Park but then would probably turnaround

FransJacques - we tend to leave at 8 to do the stretch out of London before the roads get too busy. Also so we don't get back too late - means you can actually do something with the rest of the day. As to the roads away from Richmond Park, it's a fairly quiet route. There's a couple of stretches (never more than a few 100m) than can be busy but nothing too bad
  • FransJacques
    Ok, met-check has made my mind up for me - tomorrow is the day to go. Sunday looks sheit.

www.metcheck.com (I put in SW19 to the box).

Time and place = Roehampton Gate at 8am then? Will be on the black Giant cf with a yellow jersey and white Ionos helmet.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • FransJacques - we meet at Richmond Gate and yes it's 8 am - see you then
  • bondurant
    @London-Red

Let me know if you'll be out Sunday. I'll be heading out in any case, so no worries if you don't fancy it. Aiming to set off at 8.30-ish from Esher.
  • london-red
    Okay will do - it might be weather dependent, but I definitely need to get out...

I'll pm my mobile.
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    I'm going to have to duck out this weekend as I've been requisitioned by the missus. Not around next weekend so see you in a couple of weeks. Have a good one.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    If I can shoo unexpected guests out of the door before/soon after midnight I may join and hang on to the speeding peloton BUT you know that I am obsessively punctual so don't wait around on my account if I am not present at 0800.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • J09
    J09 Posts: 122
    Count me in for the saturday ride. As for sunday, let's see how tomorrow goes.
  • Ended up running late today and only got to Richmond Gate at about 8:10 to find nobody there. Did some laps of Richmond Park and called it a day.

If others got out I hope you had a good one
  • FransJacques
    Glad I read this last night (sarcasm) but I was out at currey in Notting Hill and didn't get back till late (I saw actress Anne Hathaway!).

I was at Roehampton Gate as I incorrectly thought - tons of cyclists around and I asked for the "Bongo Man" and some people thought I was a bit wacky. I cycled straight to Kingston gate then down south to the usual stuff down past Shere and around Ockley etc etc.

Had sun, 1 shower, and tons of breeze - almost got blown sideways on 1 overpass. Hard work for 70 miles...
  • J09
    Me, Berns and Geoffrey managed to get out. Must have missed us by a few seconds "Bongo Man".

FransJacques, was your jersey yellow or pink???

Nice and fast ride with a couple of new routes for my map.

Anyone going out tomorrow?
  • bondurant
    Yes, still planning to head out at about 8.30 from Esher. Let me know if you fancy it. London-Red might be coming along too, weather dependent.
  • london-red
    Maybe. Just can't decide - the wind is actually putting me off more than the chance of rain at the moment. Lame, I know - but that's the way of it :lol:

I'll be doing the 7am check as usual and will be up for a slightly shorter one if I do head out.

Bondurant is heading out - 8.30 in Esher.
  • J09
    A bit too early for me... I'm trying to get a little more sleep tomorrow.
  • bondurant
    I - somewhat unexpectedly - only got rained on very briefly today and even saw the sun poke through the clouds a few times. I tried a few new roads: after Cobham - Shere - Ewhurst I looped around Walliswood, Oakwood Hill then Capel before returning via Newdigate and Box. Nice route.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    edited August 2010
    Ended up running late today and only got to Richmond Gate at about 8:10 to find nobody there. Did some laps of Richmond Park and called it a day.

If others got out I hope you had a good one

Sorry that we misssed you; I think we left at 0808! As Jorge said a fast ride and if that is the norm for RPCC I will make way for another lanterne rouge to honourably discharge my role. Enjoy the hills.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • If it hadn't been for the vicious headwind up Sawyers Hill I might have made it then! Oh well, probably a good thing as the legs were tired yesterday so a short, easier one suited me

Away next weekend so great if someone could do the honours on setting up the thread that'd be great
  • If it hadn't been for the vicious headwind up Sawyers Hill I might have made it then! Oh well, probably a good thing as the legs were tired yesterday so a short, easier one suited me

Away next weekend so great if someone could do the honours on setting up the thread that'd be great