my commute seems to go quicker without my radio

davmaggs
davmaggs Posts: 1,008
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I've nearly always commuted with one ear piece in so that I can get the news and current affairs on the way in, although with restriced phone volume I do miss bits. My headphone cable is broken so I've had two dreaded days this week in silence. Except that once under way and warmed up it seems that my journey actually feels quicker (mentally, not actual time) as I seem to zone out more with random thoughts and watching other roads users.

I'm now thinking of doing more commutes without headphones. Just seems odd. Am I becoming all zen and at one with the lorries and bus engines?

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Like you, I used to use a radio and when exercising always have it on. Now I prefer it without just enjoying the weather, good or bad, and being on the bike. Perhaps a confusion of pleasure sources if I was being really poncey - i.e. you enjoy both, but you enjoy each separately more.....
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Good point Jeepie. It's the usual myth than humans can multi-task.

I suppose the commute had become just a means of getting to work and the radio was my attempt at doing something useful along the way. Now (maybe for a short while) I'm back to riding my bike again.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I used to run to work with headphones on and then one day I didn't and found that the run seemed to go quicker. Kinda got into a zen state listening to my own breathing and the pounding opf my feet on the road.... I find now that I like to concentrate my whole body on the ride or run. Legs pushing with a slight lactic burn, breathing hard and regular, core muscles rigid, eyes and ears looking at traffic.....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I run with the ipod in (apart from anything else, it's nice to have Runkeeper telling me how long I've been going for), but never when riding through London. I'd worry that I couldn't hear things, and I like to concentrate fully on the job at hand (i.e. not being flattened by a truck).
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The problem with radio/music, if you listen to it is ties you into real time by giving you a reference, if you tune it out or listen to your own meandering thoughts you might come round anywhere. Love it.

I am doing an HnD in Zen Mastery.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I don't know how you lot get so zen - when I cycle I find I have more than enough to concentrate on!
  • I run with music but I don't cycle with it... I like being able to hear what's going on around me.

If I'm in the gym though, I need MY music or I lose the will to live even more quickly than usual.