err... I don't get it! Please enlighten me....

jeepie
jeepie Posts: 497
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
In this photo

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/t200-championship-50-10-39591

what is Warren going to do if he has to stop on a dime during his descent?

His hands are in one place and his brakes are in another.

Why are fixed bikes designed like this? Seems v. odd to me, but perhaps I'm missing something! Please let me know what I'm missing!

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    its for style purposes and he will just lock his legs up to stop
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,757
    I think it's just a funny camera angle rather than a serious descent.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    It's just fashion against function.

Kinda like have fabulous shoes that you can't walk in.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    You control your descent speed with your legs on a fixed as you cant just completely switch off your leg muscles and coast. You can do it up to a point then body kicks in says NO! So he wont be descending as fast as on a geared bike and much more focused on controlling the speed.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    rml380z wrote:

no not really, the mini brake lever is for more city styled riding when having your head up is useful.

I personally still have hoods on my fixed bikes as I find it easier getting up hills with them
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I run fixed with road hoods.
    I spend most of my time with the hands on the hoods, and when descending I have them on the drops feathering the brakes.

I really don't understand the 'cross top lever style. Took 'em off my 'crosser.

I just don't see how a decent FG/SS road bike can be safe and comfortable without road hoods.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    My fixed came equipped with road levers, but spending most of the time riding on the tops of the bars I ditched them for a finger brake. Much better around town, although I'll admit I miss the hoods for climbing.

Presumably in Warren's case, he can see the road ahead of him and is confident enough that he's not gonna have to suddenly haul on the anchors.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Clever Pun wrote:
    rml380z wrote:

no not really, the mini brake lever is for more city styled riding when having your head up is useful.

I personally still have hoods on my fixed bikes as I find it easier getting up hills with them

Also a mini brake is easier to remove if you want to take your bike on the track.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    My god, is that bike really £849?? For an ultra basic steel fixed? What an utter rip off... Fashionistas have a lot to answer for!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    My god, is that bike really £849?? For an ultra basic steel fixed? What an utter rip off... Fashionistas have a lot to answer for!

It's 531 so not ultra basic...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

I walked past Alpine in Edinburgh at lunchtime- they had a Trek Carbon District in the window- with a colour scheme Hotblack Desiato would love. Carbon frame, Gates carbon drive, carbon cranks etc.
    Reduced from £2800 to £2300...

I'm sure it's lovely to ride but that struck me as a bit pricy for a single-speed. Didn't even have a flip-flop hub.

It did have proper drop-bar levers, though!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730

.....agreed, but that (gorgeous) Brooks saddle is one and a half on it's own........

Trying to self justify getting one to replace the Bonty saddle I scuffed up in my recent off...... :oops:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    SimonAH wrote:

Trying to self justify getting one to replace the Bonty saddle I scuffed up in my recent off...... :oops:

You know you want to :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Jeepie wrote:
    In this photo

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/t200-championship-50-10-39591

what is Warren going to do if he has to stop on a dime during his descent?

His hands are in one place and his brakes are in another.

Why are fixed bikes designed like this? Seems v. odd to me, but perhaps I'm missing something! Please let me know what I'm missing!

What makes you think he's going downhill? Could be uphill - all depends on the camera angle
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    The fact that he's out of the saddle to me suggests he's either going up hill or sprinting on the flat.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • jeepie
    Don't think the camera angle is really to the point is it?

Let's say he's sprinting on the flat or going up hill then - what happens if a badger suddenly runs in his path? How does he stop his forward momentum?

And also if you have drops surely you would descend with your hands in this position on the drops as the handling will be so much nicer - oh, except when a car turns in front of you and you can't stop!

I just don't get it. I like the idea of a single speed winter bike, but so many of the lighter ones are set up like this which makes the drops unusable unless you can predict the future!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I wouldn't worry - i ride with my hands resting on my bar ends for long parts of my ride on the mtb. It's never been an issue - and this is for a photo shoot anyway - so it's quite a controlled environment.
  • _Brun_
    Jeepie wrote:
    Blah blah blah etc
    How about you quit worrying about everyone else's impending doom, and try to enjoy riding a bicycle instead?
  • jeepie
    Thanks for the comments Brun! Very helpful. I'm just interested in the idea of a fixed bike, but haven't ridden one and don't understand why the brakes are positioned so. Thanks for the clarifications!
  • _Brun_
    You're welcome!