which panniers?

missgroover
missgroover Posts: 263
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Been chatting to a few of you re my new commute (20 miles each way) - some of you suggested panniers rather than a backpack, has anyone any they can recommend?
I have a Kona Smoke hybird I won off Wiggle that I will be using, already has the rear rack and mudguards installed so just some ideas on bags would be fab - ideally waterproof as it'll be to put clothing in - I know you can get covers though if that's the cheaper way to do it.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers - all you will ever need!

They are simple, light (comparatively) tough, 100% waterproof, backed up with a 5 year warranty and readily available spares, used by expedition tourists. The pannier of choice, and IMHO better than Ortlieb's Plus or Bike Packer models.

Non waterproof panniers with rain covers don't work in my experience, water eventually seeps in through the back, nearest the wheel, where the cover doesn't go.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    alfablue wrote:
    Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers - all you will ever need!
    +1. I use mine all year round; it's awesome to be able to ride in torrential rain, through standing water etc without worrying whether your clothes and laptop are going to get wet...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    As above, except I use the Ortlieb Back Roller Plus version, pretty much identical but about 250g lighter.
  • 3 recommendations from 3 posts - they must be worth a look! Thanks peeps :)

Just have to hope they fit!
  • alfablue
    They will fit, they have different inserts to fit different diameter rack tubing.
  • alfablue
    On the Classic versus Plus choice:

the Classics are made of heavier, thicker fabric, it is like shiny tarp. The Plusses have lighter thinner Cordura fabric.

the Classics use the QL1 fitting system, you need an allen key to adjust it, Plusses use QL2 - tool free, and it can take the accessory wire cable security thing.

The Classics are £10 to £20 cheaper (depending where you shop),

The Classics are 250g heavier (as iPete pointed out).

I have some Bike Packer Plus panniers, and my g/f has Back Roller Classics, in my opinion the Classics (hers!) are better. I managed to make a hole in the cordura fabric of my plusses by careless dumping on concrete paths (easily repaired however), and the tool-less adjustment is really irrelevant as once you have set them you don't need to do it again. The extra weight is negligible, and the price is much more favourable!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    3 recommendations from 3 posts - they must be worth a look! Thanks peeps :)

Just have to hope they fit!

Its definitely for a reason. The Plus version as above is lighter but might be weaker(?), I don't baby mine and they are holding out perfectly. Weight was a big issue for me, as I purchased them for a fully loaded tour on a ''fragile'' road bike.

Since then they work on my commute, do the shopping and carry just about anything I need to shift.

Only thing to get used to is the lack of external pockets which can be fiddly but is what makes them a safe bet for rainy days. I've got around this with a topeak waterproof tri-bag for keys etc.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You won a bike? Nice work! Has it changed your life?

(I won a Rapha top, and my life has been changed by me becoming that tiny bit more of a ponce than I was before)
  • Peyote
    Peyote Posts: 2,189
    Yet another Back Roller Classic user here. My pair have so far out lasted two bikes!! About 10,000 miles commuting in all weathers and generally pretty harsh treatment, including two crashes on tarmac, couldn't recommend them enough.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Altura Orkney. Have used all over Scotland in all sorts of weather and no problems, no leakage. Cheaper then Ortlieb, and that swayed me, as I got a good deal. However I have heard nothing bad about Ortlieb and was so close to buying them.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I too looked at the Ortlieb Roller Classics but really wanted panniers with a side pocket. Then I met this American guy in a bike shop in Cambridge who had panniers that looked like Ortlieb, also made in Germany, that had a neat side pocket that were made by Vaude. I was smitten - with the panniers ............. not the yank. Eventually I found somewhere that sold them and the rest is history. That was 2.5 years ago and my Vaude Aqua Plus panniers still scrub up like new. Being German made the quality is superb. They are very robust more so than the Ortliebs I was looking at previously. The roll top also secures more easily. Not a single drop of water has got inside the bags which are 100% waterproof despite riding in torrential rains.

I bought the Aqua bar bag and front panniers off Amazon as they were offering a good deal with free postage.

Previously I was using older black Altura Orkneys that I love but they are not water proof. If it rains hard you need to put silly yellow covers on them which is a PITA although water never got inside the bags.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • thrope
    thrope Posts: 69
    Just to give a different perspective on the Ortliebs (back roller classic)... I was a bit disappointed with mine. Got them because they were so highly recommended more or less everywhere.

One lasted less than a year before it had a hole in the bottom - presumably from scuffing when I put it on the ground while I lock the bike up. Started being more careful and the other one has lasted, but they are much less hardwearing than I would expect given the price.

Also although the opening/closing is pretty good and lets you fill them up with shopping and ride with the open to give more space I would say that the one big bucket option (there is a little net bag which I put pens in but other than that no dividers or pockets) is not so great for commuting. When I think of the amount of time I've spent rooting around to find something or the number of times I've had to tip the whole lot out in frustration...

Anyway they're not bad - just another point of view. If I was looking again I probably wouldn't get them but would try to get something with more structure (dividors/pockets).
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ortlieb are massively overrated and hugely expensive.

The vaude ones are good, a friend who put me onto them has had his pair for something ridiculous like 15 years.

The avenir ones are pretty good as well and they're only about 40 quid at retail which is dirt cheap.
  • I got a pair of Ortlieb Roller Plus and think they are great. I initially bought a Basil Sports Pannier but it split witihn a week.

Yes they are expensive but they are waterproof, are the biggest I could find (20litres each) and as someone said, the roll-up design allows you to fit more in and even have them open. The 2010 model has an inside pocket for keys, and a "flap" to separate books/laptops from the main compartment.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Carradice if you don't want to ever need to buy another pair. Made in UK too.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I've got a pair of Revolution ones from the Edingburgh Cyling Cooperative. Made by Vaude. Very good quality, but do use a waterproof cover. I'd recommend them.

Met a couple of people with Ortleibs whilst touring in France earlier in the summer, and the rated them very highly.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Back Roller Classics too - got mine second hand from here for under £40 - loads of life in them, cosmetic scuffs but nothing structural. Makes life so much easier - you won't regret it.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...