Cingles du Ventoux - Stamping locations?

durhamwasp
durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hello!

Just wondering if anybody who has done the Cingles can help me with a couple of things?

The first is, where will we get a stamp in Bedoin at 6.30 in the morning when we aim to set off? Any particular places that are open?

Also, any help with the stamping locations in Malaucene and Sault, in order to make our turn around times quicker?

Off to do it in 3 weeks, any help would be massively appreciated.
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Comments

• durhamwasp
    Nobody done it?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    Any bar or commercial outlet on the main street in Bedoin will stamp the card for you. The tourist office won't be open at 6.30.

In Malaucene, (unless you do an Iban Mayo time from Bedoin) the bike shop should be open between 8 & 9. If not, same as Bedoin - any bar or commercial outlet.

Same in Sault.

Don't forget just one stamp for the summit or you'll start to piss off the lady in the shop.

And Chalet Reynard on the way down to Sault is ideal for lunch - I can highly recommend the omlette and chips..
  • craigenty
    I'm absolutely positive I didn't write wee-wee ;-)
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Just cycled the Bédoin route today after driving the Malaucène route yesterday. It struck me that anyone doing all 3 should do Malaucène first while fresh as this is clearly the hardest. No?
  • craigenty
    curium wrote:
    Just cycled the Bédoin route today after driving the Malaucène route yesterday. It struck me that anyone doing all 3 should do Malaucène first while fresh as this is clearly the hardest. No?

There's no doubt Malaucene is a hard climb with the 4km section of 10 and 11% but the Bedoin side is much much harder.
  • durhamwasp
    Doing Bedoin first, at least the Maulaucene has a couple of sections of lesser gradient to get the legs back, if thats possible. Hoping i'll get up the first one regardless, will fight up the second one, and adrenaline and will will get me up the third!

Been doing loads of 8,000ft/70 mile routes around the North Pennines recently without problems, can't do much more training really. 3 big 70 mile+ rides in the next 9 days, and then 5 days rest.

Thanks a lot for the info on the stamping locations, seems most bakers will give me one.

It won't go to plan, but roughly we are aiming for 06:30-09:00 ascent, then a 10:15-12:45 second ascent, lunch in Chalet Reynard around 1.15 and a 3rd ascent at around 14:15-16:45. As i say, i know it wont go to plan, but hope to be all finished by 18:30 latest.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Good luck.
  • I wish you good luck to. I'm planning to make an attempt too, but next year - I have to train more first :)
    Does that mean that there is no problem with stamping in such early morning in Bedoin? (I will have to start also early :D) I've been only once in France and there was everything closed almost all the time :)
    Did I understand well that after I send the form and money to the organizar he will send me back by mail the map, plate and instruction? And is there any possibility to change the term of the attempt after being registrated and postponed it to the next day for exmaple? In case of rain etc.
    Thanks for the answers to anybody.
  • durhamwasp
    A gentleman on another website assured me that there are a few bakers open in Bedoin from around 6am and so stamping in Bedoin should be no problem.

I'm sure if you email Mr Pic he will amend the date for you, he has been helpful for us. We got no map, but stamping card, plate and rules sheet.

Friday is the big day...
  • Thank you for the information. I wish you all the best to make it! And I'm looking forward to read some story about your succesfull atempt 8) Good luck I have to train a lot :wink:
  • durhamwasp
    Well, 4 of us set out, and 4 of us completed the Cingles, and what a day of a lifetime!

We took our time, and the plan was to use the whole day, and it worked. First stamp was gained in the bakery in Bedoin at 7.13am just as the sun was rising, as has been said before, the first 6km are a freebie to warm the legs up. Then it ramps at St Esteve, but we never felt at all in trouble through the forest, just kept the rhythm going and the temperature was perfect so early on. Got to Chalet Reynard at 9.10 and had a coffee before setting off to hit the first summit at 10.25am. The section between Chalet Reynard and the summit was stunning and actually forgot we were riding it! Felt at about 95% strong at the top.

Couple of photos and down to Malaucene, where we sat down for a Pan au Chocolate and a coffee and got the 2nd stamp in a corner shop at 11.45am. The second climb started much like the first with a few freebie km's. 9km's in and i felt at about 90% but the next 5 suddenly made the legs start to ache and we were happy to hit Chalet Liotard for a coke (all the reports are correct, staff were hardlys pleasent!) then it was a battle up to the summit which we reached at 15:00.

We now dropped down to the Chalet Reynard again and topped up on energy drinks, had an energu gel also a snadwich as we had a support vehicle. Down to Sault and a coffee before the final stamp was gained at 16.23. The 3rd climb was by far the easiest but the legs were burning now, we hit the chalet and continued straight up to the top enjoying the final few KMs and joined the cingles at 19.42 just as the sun was going down. Few pics and dropped down to Tom's place to leave our bottles and get some photos befrore descending down through the forest in thepitch black and hit Bedoin at 8.30pm.

All in all, it was exactly what i expected - first climb no bother, 2nd a battle, 3rd we were never gonna give in. Weather was perfect too, 22c high and not much wind. Double ascent of the Tourmalet next year!
  • Congratulations! I envy you :wink: Nice story and huge inspiration for me... Next june will be mine, I hope 8) Good luck for the Tourmalet, a friend of mine was there this year, just few days before Andy and Alberto, did both sides in two days and was enthusiastic about that :D
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Congratulations... I'm really impressed. I've done two ascents of MV, but mine were quite a few days apart... :oops: well done! :D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Congratulations,
    Well done, I did the Clingles on Tuesday. The weather was perfect with very little wind.
    I'd like to say a big thanks to Craig and Vicky of Velo Ventoux for putting up with me and my mate.
    and hes right the omlette and chips were stunning.

mark