How to upgrade my Kona Kilauea

DesignatedHitter
DesignatedHitter Posts: 2
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey I just bought a used Kona Kilauea, I only know that I like how it rides, how lite it is and that it was reviewed well on the internet. I paid $250, did I get a good deal? I thought so but I'm not sure after further research. I bought the bike because my Specialized Hardrock Sport was stolen. I am considering getting front suspension so I have the option. Any recommendations? tell me anything about my bike good or bad I want to hear it! if only I knew how to attach a picture. [/img]http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=32019158&id=158300593&ref=fbx_album

Comments

• Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    From the fact your bike doesn't have front sus I'm guessing it's a 90's steel framed Kona?

It was a fantastic bike at the time. Although 90's bikes were usually lower and had steeper headtube angles than modern bikes, Kona's were ahead of their time with the frame geometry. I have a mid 90's Cindercone (lower model than Kilhauea) with 80mm sus forks which raise the front end slightly over the original rigids and make it ride like a modern bike. I ride it in a club on a regular basis with no problem.

As long as you accept the extra weight over most alu bikes and the springy steel ride then it's fine. Your Kilhauea will be lighter than my Cindercone and I like the steel feel and actually favour it over my lightweight XC hardtail for normal club rides.

Of course, if your a hard rider over pretty extreme terrain you might want to think about something else as I reckon more than 80mm forks will be too much for it.

If you do get sus forks keep hold of the originals (assumins they are 'project twos') as they will add a desirability to it should you ever sell it on.