Bruyneel moves to London

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Straight after the Tour we moved to London, which looking back wasn't the smartest idea - I'm exhausted!
http://www.johanbruyneel.com/blog.html

Does anyone know why he moved? I suppose Heathrow and Gatwick offer good connections between Europe and the US? Maybe he's wealthy enough to be a non-dom tax dodger?

Answers on a postcard...

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    lol...will be funny when UK cyclists are bumping into "the hog" in Tesco. Am sure the zero tolerance folk on here will not welcome him. I often wonder why English speaking pros don't base in the UK given they can train elsewhere in Europe and race, with south England being easiest culturally and offering their language
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I often wonder why English speaking pros don't base in the UK given they can train elsewhere in Europe and race, with south England being easiest culturally and offering their language

If I had the choice, of Continental Europe or England, I'd not choose England.

England has got to way down the list of decent places to cycle in Europe, especially down South.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Kléber wrote:
    Straight after the Tour we moved to London, which looking back wasn't the smartest idea - I'm exhausted!

Does anyone know why he moved? I suppose Heathrow and Gatwick offer good connections between Europe and the US? Maybe he's wealthy enough to be a non-dom tax dodger?

Answers on a postcard...

He always seemed to be travelling through the London airports so I assume it's for convenience. Still, a big decision to give up Madrid for London.
  • dave_1
    edited August 2010
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I often wonder why English speaking pros don't base in the UK given they can train elsewhere in Europe and race, with south England being easiest culturally and offering their language

England has got to way down the list of decent places to cycle in Europe, especially down South.

Wiggo and Boardman did okay being UK based. How much better is the weather 80 mile south in north Europe where many are based? I see what you mean for further southern Europe locations though. Lemond and Anderson, Millar, Peiper, Bauer will all Belgium based in the 80s
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You would certainly think tax reasons altho' I would have thought France/Spain/Switzerland/Monaco were better
    M.Rushton
  • dave_1
    mrushton wrote:
    You would certainly think tax reasons altho' I would have thought France/Spain/Switzerland/Monaco were better

maybe the Vuelta snub?, plus the stuff in the papers re his alleged poor treatment of Contador?
  • redddraggon
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Wiggo and Boardmen did okay being UK based. How much better is the weather 80 mile south in north Europe where many are based? I see what you mean for further southern Europe locations thoguh. Lemond and Anderson, Millar, Peiper, Bauer will all Belgium based in the 80s

Wiggins lives/lived largely north of Civilisation, and Boardman lives close enough to Wales. Neither are Southern England. The traffic density in North Wales, and North of Greater Manchester is quite low, and if you can deal with the wet weather, it's a fine training area.

But Southern England or Continental Europe? It's a bit of no-brainer, unless you don't fancy the culture abroad, have family ties, or maybe don't have much language ability. Now Northern England/North Wales might be fine for training, buts it's quite far from where most of the racing action and team support is
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Wiggo and Boardmen did okay being UK based. How much better is the weather 80 mile south in north Europe where many are based? I see what you mean for further southern Europe locations thoguh. Lemond and Anderson, Millar, Peiper, Bauer will all Belgium based in the 80s

Wiggins lives/lived largely north of Civilisation, and Boardman lives close enough to Wales. Neither are Southern England. The traffic density in North Wales, and North of Greater Manchester is quite low, and if you can deal with the wet weather, it's a fine training area.

But Southern England or Continental Europe? It's a bit of no-brainer, unless you don't fancy the culture abroad, have family ties, or maybe don't have much language ability. Now Northern England/North Wales might be fine for training, buts it's quite far from where most of the racing action and team support is

was just thinking about why Norther Europe was popular and many decent Belgians, Dutch can't be experiencing vastly different climates to the southern part of England. Sad I remember this, but even Lemond was quoted in Winning mag and like saying he liked Belgium cause he could get English language TV from the UK. We forget how hard some of the Anglo Saxon guys find settling in in the continent
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I expect he's over here because he's out of the reach of Federal juristiction..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Monty Dog wrote:
    No, Britain exports people quite quickly to the US if they are wanted. France would be a better bet, see Roman Polanski etc
  • The way the UK rolls over on extradition, he couldn't have chosen a worse place!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Oh well, back to the conspiracy drawing board, Monty!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    Monty Dog wrote:

Is biking bernie on holiday? What a whacky theory :lol:
  • Posh school for the daughter.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Isn't his wife Spanish?
    I thought of the schools as well, but Madrid would have an English speaking school (or two) if he wants his children taught in English. They're still nursery/primary school age, IIRC, so I would have thought that being near grandparents would be important.

Who knows?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited August 2010
    Perhaps a move from managing dodgy cyclists to managing hedge funds. :D
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Kléber wrote:

Answers on a postcard...

My guess? Good schooling for his kids.
  • Host of reasons I reckon. Probably just likes london - a lot of people do.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    The Rev Tusher has just suggested that he's moved to get away from his mother-in-law.

Surely not.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    London is probably a great place if you have money. I'm sure there are lots of good schools in Europe. Monaco has zero tax altho' Vino lives there. Switzerland is good with money and in Polanski's case extradition.

Wiggins has a place in Girona I think altho' his family live near Wigan.
    M.Rushton
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Dave_1 wrote:

I live on the edge of Greater London in the SE and within 10 minutes of my front door know of miles and miles of traffic free lanes. Not all bad :D

London and it's suburbs are a bitch to cycle in.

London is a cracking city such a buzz about and surrounding you have some of the most beautiful countryside surrounding it.
  • redddraggon
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I live on the edge of Greater London in the SE and within 10 minutes of my front door know of miles and miles of traffic free lanes. Not all bad :D

I think it's relative, you are used to London, so these lanes feel quiet to you. Whenever I ride on the Cheshire lanes, it's supposedly quiet, but it feels busy to me. Whereas in North Wales, if you choose certain routes you won't see cars for hours.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    wellesley_road.jpg

20060330105812842_1.jpg

It's because of our Cycling Freindly Culture he wants to be here! :wink:
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • 2 pages on a chump moving house !!! slow news day :)
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    why don't we just ask him on twitter ?

If we got 2 pages imagine how many there must be on the CN forums :D
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I can testify to that as they put my distance riding in the past.
    Nice scenery and country pubs but they don't slow for anything except a herd of cows and then if they are not too busy on the phone.

Sean Yates (Sussex) lived in Monaco.

You say flights but Brussels center is only a couple of hours by Eurostar and easy connections within Belgium.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • sherer wrote:
    If we got 2 pages imagine how many there must be on the CN forums :D

almost 1/2 as many as will be on podium cafe !