Best, fastest and safest way to lose weight.

BurtonM
BurtonM Posts: 425
edited September 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Firstly, I'm 18 year old. Im 6 foot 2 and im around the 15 stone mark. I used to be a rugby player before i started cycling.
So im a fairly big lad.
Basically i want to lose fat off my upper body (mainly stomach and chest) as well as a bit on my thighs. And also become fit enough for when i start mountain biking. At the moment im not mountain biking through the lack of a bike, however i have a spare bike to train with.
What would be the fastest but safest way to lose this weight ? Im aiming to lose 3 stone in the quickest time possible.
thanks in advance
yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.

Comments

• exercise and eat a healthy balanced diet...

Cut out on snacks, switch sweets/choc for fruit....

Drink cider instead of ale/lager.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Running, and skipping work wonders. But it's all moot if you don't eat relatively sensibly.
  • BurtonM
    I can eat healthily, snack food and stuff dont particularly bother me. I prefer the taste of funky fruits and stuff :)
    Its getting meals in at the proper times that i cant do, for example. eating 4 hours before bike rides i sometimes cant do.
    I dont drink excessive amounts of lager/cider/ale, when im out i drink vodka and some form of fruit juice.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Anonymous
    Hang on, let me clarify, when I say running and skipping, I mean as in two separate activities.
    not in a fruity "running and skipping down the road" kind of way :lol:
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Eat smaller portions and more often. Try and eat 6 smaller meals a day instead of the usual 3. If you reduce your calorie intake by 500 calories a day you'll lose 1lb a week, increase the calories you burn a day by the same amount and you'll lose another lb. Usually, losing more than 2lb a week is considered unhealthy
  • Anonymous
    I got rid of over 1,600 pounds in a day. Mountain biking is great :D
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Whilst eating fruit is good be careful how much fruit juice you drink (esp with the Vokda) as it amazing how much good work you can undo in one nights session!

(even if its a good session...) :D
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • BurtonM
    If i want to orientate my excersise round cycling, what size bike rides do you think i should be aiming for. About 10 miles a day to start off with ?
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    im kinda new too this too, i was really unfit i started not to loose weight or anything but just to get out and to get fitter in gerneral, i started with small 3 mile routes then got bigger bit by bit i think i went from 3 to 5 to 10 to 25 and now i can do anything upto 50-60 miles so im good! i went from 3-5-10 in about 1.5-2 weeks ride everyday intill you get to 15+ miles if you can idealy, mabye just me because im still at school and am currently on holiday, you might not loose weight fast but your figure with change, i have put on weight but went down a trouser size, i was small and weady before now ive gained more muscle and stuff
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Go for a bike ride in the morning before breakfast.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697

Drink cider instead of ale/lager.

Why do you think that?

http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories/ca ... _beer.html

http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories/ca ... lager.html

http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories/ca ... cider.html

Cider generaly contains more calories than lager or beer due to the increased alcohol content
  • m00nd0g
    m00nd0g Posts: 176
    I have never tried it.
    Though I understand that if an overweight person needs to diet for an operation this is what they are told.

http://en.dietafitness.com/rice-chicken ... -diet.html
  • BurtonM
    Right. As of monday Im doing this chicken and rice and apple thing haha. Il be feeling like death warmed up after it though.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    Forget the chicken, apple and rice thing - please! You may lose the weight, but unless you want to eat only chicken, apples and rice for the rest of your life you will just put the weight back on as soon as you stop.

RevellRider is right, it's all down to calorie counting and you have to be patient - sustainable weight loss takes time.

http://www.foodfocus.co.uk/index.php

This website is really useful. It's a drag filling in everything you eat, but you only need to do it for 2 or 3 weeks and you begin to get a feel for how much you should be eating.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    How bout a few weeks in Guantanamo Bay, courtesy of the US Government...
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    can't believe i'm the first to say it.....

go for a massive dump!

:lol:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    No carbs after 2pm, less than 1500 calories a day and 1 hour gym bike spinning in the morning, another after work.

I lost a stone (14 to13st) in 10 days after a long break following an op.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Amoebic dysentery?

Riding before breakfast is good, you'll have no energy, but it speeds up your metabolism for the whole day. Caffeine helps, so have iced tea in your bottle or something.

How sensible it is I'm not sure, but I did it a fair bit over winter (on the advice of my coach, so it can't be too bad!), and aside from having no power it does help you lose weight.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Also... only drink water when training and don't have anything but water for at least an hour afterwards. I can't remember the name of the effect (Kolh?) but your body thinks its still working out and continues to burn fat for at least an hour after you stop.

If you eat or drink anything other than water, it processes the food and stops the fat burn.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Graculus wrote:
    Forget the chicken, apple and rice thing - please! You may lose the weight, but unless you want to eat only chicken, apples and rice for the rest of your life you will just put the weight back on as soon as you stop.

RevellRider is right, it's all down to calorie counting and you have to be patient - sustainable weight loss takes time.

http://www.foodfocus.co.uk/index.php

This website is really useful. It's a drag filling in everything you eat, but you only need to do it for 2 or 3 weeks and you begin to get a feel for how much you should be eating.

this looks ok, i paid £40 for a weight watchers 3 month plan, this is pretty much the exact same
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • Anonymous
    I got rid of over 1,600 pounds in a day. Mountain biking is great :D

Yeah, according to my credit card company I weigh -2500lb.
  • Dwhit
    Dwhit Posts: 10
    For most people burning more calories than you eat will see a decrease in weight. This is weightloss in it's most simplistic term, but the principal holds true.

Keep a log of your calorie intake and expenditure, I know it's what the girls do (calorie counting) but it is good to keep a track of your workouts too.

You will be surprised at your improvements over a short period of time, but don't try to do too much too soon.

Start off with whatever you feel comfortable with and try to increase things gradually. By increasing intensity and/or distance gradually you should avoid injury.

Remember though. we all can put on weight relatively unnoticed over a length of time, but it will not come off overnight.

As the guys previously said, a good balanced diet and plenty of exercise is the only way to go.
    Dave W
    If you are of er, um, 'a certain age' like me, or want to lose weight or get fitter, you could find some tips at...Cycling For Fitness
  • Hi Guys - We could all do with taking a leaf out of the girls book and keep a strict eye on the amount of calories that we have in a day.

At 15 stone if you want to lose a sensible amount every week then 1900 calories a day (keep it low fat) will lose you between 1-2lbs a week, this combined with regular exercise and rest periods will give a very healthy reduction in weight and increase energy levels, promoting a healthy lifestyle, this may well feel like an unrealistic amount of fuel if we are training very hard, but we can very easily over estimate how much the body needs to function correctly.

Drink plenty of water, eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with healthy snacks in between and the weight will come off, high energy products/drinks usually have a high calorific value and should be taken with that in mind.

Good luck and ride safe

Steve
    :lol: