Oxenhope Moor route...

relanium
relanium Posts: 487
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
I'm wanting to put some hills into my training and thought about going over towards "Oxenhope Moors" because there is hill which is on "climbbybike" which I'd like to tackle, I'll be heading from Mirfield in West Yorkshire but not sure on a route to take to get to the moors....
Has anyone done this route from my area?

Comments

• pm colinj, he'll have as many as you want. he is usually on cyclechat more often. he's a nice fella, knowledgeable and helpful
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Out via Queensbury, return via Halifax? Just pick any old route really - a good old fashioned OS map gives a very good feel for what a route will be like. Actually, it looks a pretty good climb up from Oxenhope.

I did a nice route this weekend from where I live in West Leeds, through to Oakworth and over the moors to Colne and then back via Widdop to Hebden Bridge, down the valley to Mirfield and back to Leeds. Just worked it out from the OS.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I wish I lived where you do, I'd never be in the house!

There's so many routes to take but personal favourites from the layby on the A644 a J25 of the M62 are:

A 38 miler Via Brighouse, Elland and Barkisland over Ripponden moor (and the high level viaduct over the M62) over Saddleworth Mooor and then back down the A672 to Ripponden and back via Greetland and Brighouse. I last did this in the snows of winter but I do expect my hands to warm up before the end of September!

The above becomes a 50 miler if you go via Huddersfield and Holmfirth on the outrun. The A635's a stunning road to cycle on a good day and an absolute t**t on a windy one!

A 45 miler via Holmfirth, Holme Moss, Penistone, Shepley and Fenay Bridge (but the A628 is very busy except early on weekend mornings).

A 40 miler via Brighouse, Copley, Sowerby Bridge, Oxenhope, Howarth, Cullingworth, Queensbury and Brighouse. I may do this one on Saturday.

I've always fancied doing the 50 mile Brighouse, Littleborough, Rochdale, Bacup, Hebden Bridge, Brighouse route as well but I haven't had the time this summer.

I'd also have Huddersfield, Holmfirth, Glossop, Stalybridge, Marsden, Salithwaite, Huddersfield firmly in my sights if I were you.

Bob
  • Climb from the Oxenhope side, and descend down the Hebden Bridge side. This descent is longer and more fun. (It means a steeper, shorter climb though!) 8)

Main roundabout in Halifax, climb to Denholme, turn left onto the "Long Causeway" (Signposted Oxenhope), then when you get into Oxenhope turn left at the mini roundabout (Signposted Hebden Bridge) then dig in for the tough climb. Descend into Hebden Bridge, then on to Mytholmroyd, climb Cragg Vale, then turn left for Halifax or right to Littleborough then Denshaw, Marsden, Huddersfield, home.