Upgrade 01 Hardrock or Buy New

marshall_a
marshall_a Posts: 90
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello all, new to this forum.

I'm currently just getting back into light trail riding (around Dalby) now that my eldest is old enough to do more than tarmac and was wondering if it was worth upgrading my 2001 Hardrock A1 Comp to FS, something like Tora 302 U-turns/recon race solo air 120 (or anything else with V boses, that will dial down to something the frame will handle), or should I just save my money and get a new bike with Discs and FS already.

The bike I have is still all stock apart from tyres/brake pads and is in very good condition (partly due to under use but also well looked after) so if worthwhile would prefer to upgrade, but not sure what sort of travel the bike would take. It was available from memory with a 80mm fork but can't remember if it was the same frame as the ridged bike, so would appreciate anyone with a memory for these sorts of things to point me in the right direction (always planned to upgrade it, but never got round to it once we had kids).

TIA

Andy

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd just save and buy a new bike, either sell the old one to fund it, or keep it for pub use etc.

£350 gets you a modern Hardrock with discs and a fork as a good starting point, or Rockhoppers start at £700, there's literally hundreds of options out there.
  • ok Cheers, that will have to wait then as just bought new for the rest of the family and xmas will deplete any funds saved up to get something decent (would really want to be looking at an upgrade rather than update if going new)
  • oh well, couldn't resist.......gave up the cigs 9mths ago after 15 yrs and haven't rewarded myself till this point, and with zero percent on offer thought it would be rude not too. :wink:

Sat on a few and the rockhopper just felt right, so now have a bright white rockhopper comp :D