Aldi winter cycling gear.

BOYDIE
BOYDIE Posts: 528
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi all,

Just thought I would give you the heads up,a friend of mine who is a manager for a local store has told me the Aldi winter cycling gear is due in on the 16th of September,no details as yet on garments etc but will be up on Aldi's website 2 weeks prior.

If the winter gloves are as good as the last ones, Ill be getting a pair.

Cheers.

Comments

• shieldsy94
    shieldsy94 Posts: 342
    By the sounds of it, could be cheap gear :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I cast no aspersions at all but all mine has ended up in the charity shop...My mate, however, uses his regularly......
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Is this Aldi the supermarket?

If so, no idea why a real biker would buy from the cheapest possible supermarket.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Is this Aldi the supermarket?

If so, no idea why a real biker would buy from the cheapest possible supermarket.

you have not bought any of their kit then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I'm a real biker, but one on a budget, and I can't fault Aldi's kit.
    Caz xx
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    There can be bargains. Lidl did a 15 quid toolkit last year and it was excellent (this from a guy who's car tools are things like Snap-On $$$). I'm sure some of it's tosh, but worth a look.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Only thing I've bought from Aldi that I've disliked was a bottle cage, and only because I managed to rip it off on the first ride out :lol:
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I purchased some winter shirts and bib tights years ago from Aldi, use them all winter every day for commuting and they are still as good as new.
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214

Because they sell some decent kit at great prices. Not that hard to understand surely?
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Just because it's not being worn or by a sponsored athalete doesn't make it crap, i got a computer from lidl's for £3.50 and it's better than a cateye one that i paid £20 for.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185

Because it's less expensive than the 2nd cheapest possible supermarket.....
  • Not tried their bike clothing yet, but if it worksas well as the glasses (of which I have 2 sets now) I should be in the UK in sept so might be worth popping in and taking a look. Cheers for the heads up.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Despite what the snobs say, Aldi-Lidl can give great value for money. I'm a real biker, I cycle (MTB and road) in the rain and snow and I use some of their gear.

Best value last year was a wind and showerproof ultra lightweight cycling jacket for £6. Ha ha ha, my mate bought a named jacket very similar for £45.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    Noclue wrote:
    i got a computer from lidl's for £3.50

I thought you meant an actual pc for a second :oops: :lol:
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Been using Aldi/Lidl kit for a while - its always worth a look when they have stuff. I have a set of bib shorts that have been used for nearly 2 years now, along with a set of the glasses and as many pairs of ankles socks as I could get my hands on at the time. Oh and I also have a tool kit.

Thanks for the heads up! :)
  • AdvoCake
    AdvoCake Posts: 29
    if only they did the clothing in man-size for those of us of wider girth...
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Their socks are the most comfortable I've ever worn for cycling.

The jerseys are very good both winter and summer.

The pads on their shorts/trousers leave a little to be desired for long rides, but for commuting they are bag on.

I shall be paying them a visit on the 16th or I'll send the wife :wink:
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Used the Lidl tool kit to remove a BB that had been fitted in my old bike for 16 years... No drama at all. Impressive.

Will keep an eye out for this sale.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    There winter bib tights, windstopper style tops, base layers etc are great value and kept me nice and toasty and still out riding my bike despite the freezing conditions last winter.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Seeing as this thread has been resurected i'd like to add that the base layers and soft shell jackets from Aldi have been absolutley awesome this winter, and what a winter!! and some socks that i got from Lidl seem to be indestructable and damn comfy to boot.
  • Yeah, resurrected as a sales pitch! :evil:

Mods, shall we say goodbye to Mr/Mrs LinAllison?
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i've tried an aldi base layer and found it inferior to a bin bag because i sweated about the same.the socks are ok though
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    turpinr wrote:
    i've tried an aldi base layer and found it inferior to a bin bag because i sweated about the same

A base layer is not designed to stop you sweating :?
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I've got some of the Aldi winter cycling gloves. They only cost £5 or so. They are reasonable and was happy with them until I had to take them off mid-ride, then I couldn't get them on again. They're not breathable, so the lining gets sweaty and moves and is almost impossible to put on again until they've dried.
    You get what you pay for, but for the price their kit is good. I've also had some Lidl or Aldi lycra bottoms for about 4 years and they're still fine.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    The soft-shell jackets are brilliant, and for the money the jerseys are brilliant.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    As the thread starter,ill comment again,If you are wondering why Im up at this hour I have just broken my fever,bloody Flu.

Anyway,I have been using the winter leggings for my commute,they are very good at keeping the wind and cold out,windproof front panels and thick lycra back panels.Only problem is the fit and the pad,not great but ok for what I need them for.

I think Aldi stuff is very good value,and when used with some of my other gear can cut the mustard very well.
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    omegas wrote:
    turpinr wrote:
    i've tried an aldi base layer and found it inferior to a bin bag because i sweated about the same

A base layer is not designed to stop you sweating :?
    its not designed to make you sweat profusely either but the aldo one did.
    you get what you pay for.all the other base layers i've had, falke, cannondale and helly hansen have been brilliant
  • crevs
    crevs Posts: 24
    I've used some of the lidl stuff in the past, the socks and base layers are great and the short sleaves tops are good. Most of the stuff is ideal to use throught the wettest, dirtiest months and it'll keep your good stuff tidy.

PS the tool kits are very, very good, easily worth double the £15
  • Philz0r
    Philz0r Posts: 56
    i'm a real biker. i go to marks and spencers for my cycling gear!. /end sarcasm
    t00t
  • Philz0r wrote:
    i'm a real biker. i go to marks and spencers for my cycling gear!. /end sarcasm

I've heard their merino socks are OK :lol: