Which 'smart' shorts...?

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Right...got the bibshorts sorted, got the jerseys sorted (Shutt), and got the socks sorted (DeFeet Woolie Boolies...mmm) and now it's time to get the 'over' shorts sorted - the sporty style adidas-es etc. just aren't cutting it any more.

Have had a quick look and come up with the following...

1) Rapha Touring Shorts (£70.00) - These look perfect to me. Subtle and smart.

2) Swrve Men's 'See My Knees' shorts that aren't as long as the other 3/4 shorts Shorts (£65.00) - Quite like the look of the pockets / features on these but they might be a bit too courier chic.!

Basically I'm just after a nice, smart pair of shorts that'll be hard-wearing and smarten up my appearance for my journey a bit! Anybody got any other recommendations?

Before anyone suggests simply ditching the over shorts and simply going for the jersey and bibshorts combination I'm afraid that just isn't happening - not sure the office is that accommodating just yet!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Whilst those look smart, I simply couldn't give up my Endura Humvees for practicality, they don't look to bad either (?). So much storage space and you might want to think about the on-set of winter?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40476
  • lastant
    Thanks iPete, those Hummvees look pretty good actually - will have to go and see a pair in the shop to get a proper assessment.

Regarding winter, I managed last year with bibshorts and leg warmers (and shorts over the top!) just fine for the lower body. Got myself a Gore Phantom jacket* which sorts me out a treat up top.

Picked up a Gore Path rainjacket for my recent LEJOG, so that's the wet weather taken care of (they're excellent, really REALLY good and more than justify the price tag).

It's just the slight mis-match of my shorts to the rest of the gear I'm trying to sort now. Oh the woes of being vain...! :)

* - quite possibly my best clothing purchase EVER!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • iPete
    Ha, I know the feeling!

Also have a Gore Path jacket, I wouldn't have survived last winter without it! :!:
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    +1 for the Hummvees. I've got 3/4s which I wear over bib shorts in Summer and bib tights in winter. For about £50 they also come with liners which I keep for those weeks when I've spent so much time in the bike I've run out of clean bibs.....
    Rules are for fools.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I've got the Endura Singletracks, and they're just as brilliant as the Humvees:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13217

Quick drying, and plenty of pockets for everything.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    The Rapha's - been using mine every day for 6 months and they still look new. Not as big and flappy as most baggies.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    You might want to have a look at swrve as well

http://www.swrve.co.uk/
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lastant
    Clever Pun wrote:
    You might want to have a look at swrve as well

http://www.swrve.co.uk/

Bah! They were on my original post before the browser crashed!

Yep, quite like the look of their 'shorter than 3/4 shorts' but they could be a little too courier chic... :) - notice the guy's on holiday, so will have to pop along to one of the stockists to see them.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Also in the Endura range the non-Camo version of the Zymes are my shorts of choice, as they look more normal than the Humvees (IMHO) and have a very nice cotton look/feel to them (without being cotton).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15892

Seem to be totally indestructable, oil washes out easily, and having used mine daily for 3 years (excluding summer), still no obvious signs of wear except to the pocket linings.

But be warned their sizing is a little messed up. Unless they have corrected, the 3/4 Zyme are typically 1 size bigger than you'd expect. i.e. order small if you are usually medium in everything else. The short version of the Zyme doesn't have this issue, just the 3/4's!

Rufus.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I've got the Swrve 'see my knees' in cotton, Rapha Touring Shorts and Rapha fixed shorts.

Out of those, if you want something smartish to wear over a pair of padded lycra shorts the Touring Shorts are most suitable. The Swrve shorts aren't particularly smart and I'm not sure they're designed to be worn over padded shorts.

Hope this helps.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I've spent the whole thread wondering in what way the shorts were "smart" - were they wifi-connected, HD-ready, Blackberry-synced? And then I realised you're using the 20th century meaning of the word :oops:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    biondino wrote:
    I've spent the whole thread wondering in what way the shorts were "smart" - were they wifi-connected, HD-ready, Blackberry-synced? And then I realised you're using the 20th century meaning of the word :oops:

They won Mastermind!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Humvees +1 but go for the dark ones. The olive coloured ones look a little strange as the reinforced panels are black.
    Steve C
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Another vote for the Zymes and Humvees. Great value for money.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If you're OK with the look of the Humvees then have a look at the Endura and Altura ranges. They both do a few reasonably priced shorts in low key and simple style.
  • lastant
    Thought I'd best finish off this thread having spent last week looking at a few of the options around the shops of London.

Rapha Shorts were lovely but something wasn't quite right about them, there was a nagging thought in my head that swayed me away from them.

Tried on some Endura ones (Singletrack and one other, can't remember which) which were as functional as everyone said they would be on here and was ready to get them.

Then stumbled across a pair of Surface Liquistretch Shorts. Had a fiver voucher at Wiggle so ended up with a pair of them for £39.99. Happy days.

surface-lqdstrtch-shrt-10-med.jpg
  • iPete
    Nice, not seen those before, the picture doesn't give much away but I might have to order a pair as my Humvees are finally wearing out after a solid years use.
  • lastant
    iPete - there's a review on thefootdown which is complimentary. They're a sister company of Charge Bikes. Also a review of their trousers on road.cc which is decent.

They feel good, look smart and come in well under budget. Best of all, despite being a 34" waist, I fit a medium... :)
  • iPete
    Why didn't you tell me this a week ago when I was placing a wiggle order! I'm going to have to find something else to get this above £50 now for a £5 off voucher and someone just got the last medium! :lol:

Edit: Looked smart in the flesh, order placed :D
  • lastant
    Sorry iPete, didn't see your question 'til late on yesterday (which I now see you've edited!).

For anyone else, they sit on my knee whilst standing (I'm 5' 10'') and sit roughly where cycling shorts would whilst riding. As mentioned they feel great, and as confirmed by iPete they look smart in the flesh.

I'm more than happy with them and would recommend them to anybody looking for 'smart' shorts for on the bike*. They complement (compliment?!) the Shutt jerseys wonderfully!

* - Biondino, you might want to wait until Steve Jobs comes up with the iShorts... ;)
  • iPete
    Only kidding lastant, managed to get the last pair in my size luckily, now discontinued! These are fantastic shorts, I've not even used them on the bike yet! Need more smart sports clothing like this!
  • lastant
    Anyone umming and ahhing about the Rapha Fixed Shorts...

...they're now in the sale - £55.00 (down from £70.00). That may well have swayed me on the day of trying them on! You can get free shipping on them and all sale items when you enter code SAILSHIP at checkout.
  • iPete
    Evil, I was going to buy another pair of the surface shorts in grey, may be tempted to try out some Rapha clothing...