A nice moment

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Commuting home last night, stopped at a set of traffic lights, man walking along pavement with his son who was on his bike, the boy was about 7 years old.

Boy stops alongside me (other side of the railings that I was holding onto) and starts a conversation....

Boy "Do you like riding bikes"
Me "Yes I love it, do you"
Boy "Yes, do you like my bike, it's 3 days old"
Me "It's a great bike, one of the best I've ever seen"
Boy ....no words, just a great big grin across his face!

Lights changed and I rode off with a wave...and a grin on my face too. Lovely.

Comments

• Vaguely similar: a couple of times when I've passed a parent pushing a buggy a young child's voice has excitedly shouted out ''BIKE!' from inside the buggy. It's lovely to hear the simple pleasure of seeing and naming that a toddler can get from a passing pedaller.
  • rmhodv
    rmhodv Posts: 83
    Fantastic :D

Top man.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    In a similar vein, yesterday I was enjoying a pint with a mate outside the Windmill on Clapham Common dressed in red lycra jersey and red gloves next to my red and white bike.

A family with a girl and two boys, all under the age of 7, sit near by and enjoy the sunshine.
    Girl playing on a scooter, boys kicking a ball around.
    One of the boys, aged about 5) looks at me for a moment and we say hello. He smiles at us and runs back to his mum giggling and says something in her mum's ear. She laughs too.

Over the next 20 minutes or so, I overheard the boy's name (lets call him Jim, not his real name) as they chatted and it stuck in my mind.

When we were leaving, I again saw 'Jim' looking at me as I put my gloves on and sat on my bike. I smiled at him and his mum says, "He thinks you look like the red Power Ranger"
    We had a little laugh about that and as I rode off, I said "Goodbye 'Jim'" and he said to his mum "How does he know my name?"
    Mum says "Ahh, he's a Power Ranger" knowingly.
    Jim says "Wow!"

Nice moment.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This thread makes me broody.... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This thread makes me broody.... :shock:

I'm pretty sure you're not a burd
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    A while back I was cycling home, and got to the bridleway section, the top section is usually busy with people walking dogs, parents and kids; so you need to take it easy.

I came up behind a mother and father with their little lad clearly learning how to ride a bike for the first time without stabilsers. (wobbling around a fair bit :) )

I eased right off and rang my bell to warn them, so the father held onto his son to keep him straight while he cycled along and I cycled past.

As I came alongside I looked down at this little lad and he looked up at this full sized bike, with lycra clad roadie type, with helmet and reflective wrap-arounds on... I had a huge smile on my face and said to him "don't you worry mate, it really does get easier" and the smiles on his parents faces were a sight to behold :D His Mum shouted thanks and his Dad said "You see, that cyclist knows it gets easy!"

I had a huge grin on my face the whole way home after that.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Nice stories. :D I had it in reverse when I was riding home this evening, and a young lad on the cycle path exclaimed "look at that cool bike!" to his dad. He clearly approves of the Tricross.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I trust you raced him when the lights changed?

You can't go easy on these youngsters. In 10 years time he'll be the next up and coming Bradley Wiggins, and he'll have for you for breakfast. Get those scalps in while you still can 8)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mini Asprilla (aka The Mighty Pickle) usually sees he father in his cycling kit, either first thing in the morning or just before she goes to bed. As a result whenever she sees a bike now she gets excited, laughs and flings her arms and legs about.

I hope her excitement about bikes continues for some time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Nice stories. :D I had it in reverse when I was riding home this evening, and a young lad on the cycle path exclaimed "look at that cool bike!" to his dad. He clearly approves of the Tricross.

I also got a bunch of protochavs outside Tescos, probably bunking off from school, one afternoon.

Protochav 1 to protochav 2:

Man, that bike's sick, blood!!

I looked up, surprised, and then adjusted my gaze downward a little because not one of them was as tall as my saddle.
  • awww

Yesterday I rode (slowly and deliberatly) past a little fellow learning to ride with his helpers on. I wanted to say something encouraging, but thought maybe I'd scare him or something. So I didn't. next time I will though.
    C
    Reykjavikian commuter with his knees in a bunch

Scott Speedster S30 FCN 5 / Jamis Durango SX FCN 11
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Asprilla wrote:
    Mini Asprilla (aka The Mighty Pickle) usually sees he father in his cycling kit, either first thing in the morning or just before she goes to bed. As a result whenever she sees a bike now she gets excited, laughs and flings her arms and legs about.

I hope her excitement about bikes continues for some time.

I get a similar reaction, but had always assumed it was because I look like an extra from In the Night Garden in my lycra.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Agent57 wrote:

Childen say the funniest things ;)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Funny how times have changed. My dad would have clipped me ear for talking to a stranger.

Mmm, that's probably why I really don't acknowledge other commuters :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I bought my 4 year old shadow her first proper bike last week. It's pink, it has a basket and ribbons, but most importantly to her it says Trek on it like Daddy's, which is the first things she tells everyone who cares, or doesn't care to listen.

She does seem to have completely missed my lesson on what to do when there are pedestrians about though, because despite several attempts at trying to explain the proper course of action, she just rings her little bell, put's her head down and cycles straight at them, scattering old ladies and West Highland terriers everywhere.

I already have to run to keep up, which is not my favourite form of exercise. I'f she keeps on like this, I'll have the ribbons and basket taken off, the whole thing sprayed black and she can come and join me at Gisburn Forest.
  • Boy Lard wrote:
    I bought my 4 year old shadow her first proper bike last week. It's pink, it has a basket and ribbons, but most importantly to her it says Trek on it like Daddy's, which is the first things she tells everyone who cares, or doesn't care to listen.

She does seem to have completely missed my lesson on what to do when there are pedestrians about though, because despite several attempts at trying to explain the proper course of action, she just rings her little bell, put's her head down and cycles straight at them, scattering old ladies and West Highland terriers everywhere.

I already have to run to keep up, which is not my favourite form of exercise. I'f she keeps on like this, I'll have the ribbons and basket taken off, the whole thing sprayed black and she can come and join me at Gisburn Forest.
    LOL :D she's a menace!.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The favourite part of my day is getting though the door, all hot and sweaty after the ride home, and my youngest running up and shouting "Daddy!", followed about 5 seconds later by "Daddy's Bike!", followed by me trying very hard to stop him playing with the dirty chain/wheels/brakes/pedals etc.

The wife has a tradition too, she thinks she has to shout "Drive carefully" down the stairs as I say good-bye in the morning or else I'll crash/get knocked off.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.