What lights.....

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
... up my life is my cycling. Saddened now by the nights drawing in. The MTB club run last night ended in darkness, but that opens up all other sorts of night riding, and buying good lights and stuff. Still, good another good while on the commute without full lights, but I do have some emergency ones in case the cloud darkens the way (as often happens here)

Though I am looking forward to some Autumn cycling, and a few more trips away. Maybe some East Coast camping for the drier weather....
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I too an interested in this. Since the arrival of a newborn, I can't get out on the road bike at all. So the only time available to me is post 8pm to go out for 30 mile + rides. I am looking for some lights I can use on the roadie/MTB in total darkness and have enough light to see by and go about 20mph! Think it's going to be costly!
  • I use the Hope Vision 2. It's ridiculously bright, and not gigantic either, although it does have an external battery pack. I got one as I figured that it'd be fine in London for commuting back so people see me coming, and it'd be hardy enough that I could chuck it on the MTB if needs be and it'd survive.

My dad recently used a dual Vision 2 setup (one on handlebars, one on helmet) for a 1000km day/night affair (in the pouring rain), and he came back having been able to see where he was going, so I guess they'd handle 30+ miles.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    lumenjunkies.co.uk is your friend. Don't buy dedicated bike lights as they are ridiculously overpriced. just get a torch or two from here (290 lumens for less than 20 quid each) and bar mounts for them (3 quid each if i remember). used one on the dun run this year and it was more than adequate. tempted to get a second one for mtbing in the woods at night.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I have two lights: permanently on for seeing, and flashing for "Cyclist here"

Last year I bought:
    - Magic shine (£50) http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149. There were negative reviews for earlier versions of this (weak connections), but they've improved and I used it for all last winter and it didn't fail once. Incredibly bright (500/900 lumen), and have to be careful of the beam angle so I don't blind other road users (I'm on country roads with no ambient light, so it's "necessary" 8) ).
    - Niteflux Vision stick commuter (£60ish) https://www.niteflux.com/Products_Commuter4.aspx.
    On flash mode it's still very visible in conditions like now, and is always in my bag in case needed. I've also got the helmet mount for it for off-road excursions.

Regardless of this, even using these and wearing reflective gear, several drivers nearly hit me :shock:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    magicshines, p7's tk11's....

They're all good, there used to be a VERY long thread in the mtb section about lights... What i'm currently attempting to organise is night vision goggles and then all lights with IR filters. That would be an utter hoot off-road!
  • jeepie
    So are these puppies overkill?

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/front-bik ... 1&p=1&so=0

Or does the more lumens = better hold true..... Me and Wallace sound like we'll be doing the same stuff.... MTB and road biking in the deep dark winter.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I think this is a general thread....
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Wasn't really mean t to be a "What lights" thead!! Just had that for a laugh......

I have the Deal Extreme Magicshine, and will use it with a couple of Cree torches for my MTBing. For onroad, a Bespoke 1 Watt is light of choice, with various other flashing Knog Beetles.

The Autumn is an excellent time for biking, so much wildlife about, amazing lighting on the landscape, and crisp, colder days.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Wasn't really mean t to be a "What lights" thead!! Just had that for a laugh......

Quite. I could hear the whooshes from here!
  • jeepie
    I like commuting in the autumn as the quality and intensity of the sunlight changes as you ride in with the sunrise. Is that better? :lol:
  • jeepie
    No better??? Ok, I'll get my coat - exits stage left.