bristol centre to woodlands / aztec west

the_prophet
the_prophet Posts: 426
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
been commuting from my place near temple meads in the centre, up to the office up around aztec west area for a little while, recently started pushing it a little more seeing how long it takes etc, what sort of time is it taking anyone else on here to do the same route? i'm swapping between gloucester road / a38 all the way and gloucester road / filton avenue / stoke gifford / bradley stoke etc depending on the mood / weather.

Averaging about 19/20mph at present.

Just after a bit of a comparison purely to give me something to think about :lol:

Comments

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    My old commute included city centre to top of Muller Road; my new commute includes Filton Roundabout to Almondsbury so I know most of it well. Don't know what time would be as I have a couple of miles of riding in the 'burbs tacked on at the end, and the no. of traffic lights on Gloucs Rd can really screw you. However if you're averaging 19/20mph, particularly when heading north uphill, I'd say you're doing very well indeed!
    Rules are for fools.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I used to go from Coldharbour road to Woodlands Lane each morning - that was down to 19 mins door to door on a good day - about 6 miles all told: fixie running 85" gear.

When I was rowing I would go from The floating harbour to Woodlands lane - around 35 mins door to door (bear in mind that I was knackered after rowing - sometimes used to go up Bridge Valley Road too!): Geared road bike due to hills!

As for now - I work in Emersons Green - so, I go from Coldharbour Road every morning, 30 mins there and 35 mins home (big f*cking hill!) - best so far is 25.54 in the morning, it is about 8.4 miles. Not too shabby on a fixie!

There are a few routes to take from where you are - However, you cannot really avoid the A38 B*lls up. Unless you go through Frenchay and around the north edge of Brizzle.
  • I ride from Stoke Gifford to The Waterfront/Queens Square every day and it takes me roughly 25 mins, it has been quicker. Thats straight down Gl Road and because I am a good boy I stop at every lights when they are red. Obviously if they werent there I would be quicker I imagine, and you do get the odd day where everything is green.

Just getting myself a Ridgeback Flight 03 as my new commuter machine after destroying a road bike over the course of 2 years up these roads.

I always take the Filton Ave route as its the best way for me to get to Stoke Gifford.

I love the ride and wake up every morning with a bounce because of it.
    I love BMC, Pinarello and Wilier more than my mrs!