lost the will to get out on my bike.......

counterculture
counterculture Posts: 507
edited November 2013 in Health, fitness & training
last year i was laid up after a bit of a tumble off the bike, by the time i got the all clear from the physio and docs we were into the beginning of our brutal ass winter, so i was reluctant to go out on my bike as the combination of the cold and my thumb and knee injuries made things pretty uncomfortable to begin with........anyway, id planned to get back into it come the spring this year, took myself up the Pentland Hills, i realised how much my cojones had shrunk but figured id keep at it and rebuild my confidence, had a few trips to Glentress, Ae, and the Pentlands, but i just cant get back into it.

My fitness hasnt quite returned, but i wasnt the fittest to begin with and although my thumbs still not right, it can hold onto the handlebars with no safety concerns, my bikes in decent nick, but im not enjoying being out on rides anymore, my mates are heading down every week to various places, but i just seem to be looking for excuses not to go along, my heart isnt in it at the moment, but im hoping i can get myself back out enjoying myself on my bike before too long, without forcing myself.

does anyone have any ideas what i can do to reignite my passion for mountain biking? i cycle 10 miles to work which i enjoy but i was easily going out and doing 40km+ in a day with a huge smile on my face afterwards, but that aspect has gone anytime i try to attempt anythng similar it just becomes a slog.

i realise this sounds a bit emo but hopefully someone else has had this issue and come out of it with a renewed passion for mountain biking and is able to give me a bit of advice.

cheers
i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!

Comments

• heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    edited August 2010
    Hi,

Firstly, I have no qualifications on this matter, this is only my humble opinion.

I don't think there is any point trying to force passion for something, it's either there or it isn't.

You say you enjoy your commute which is ten miles so why don't you try smaller off road rides. I think it'd be better to keep on doing smaller rides that you enjoy rather than forcing yourself to enjoy bigger rides. Smaller rides may keep the enjoyment aspect going and build your confidence up until you feel you can tackle something longer/more challenging.

Normally, when I can't be arsed to go out on my bike, my Mrs nags/reminds me how much I enjoy it once I get out and ride but this is when I limit my ride to a distance or terrain that I enjoy.

I always say to people who come biking with me and are new to it, that it's better to enjoy yourself and return home injury free, that way your more likely to want to go again. Then you can build on everything else.

It's the enjoyment factor that makes you want to ride again IMHO.

I hope you can find a satisfactory answer.
  • mats
    mats Posts: 94
    I've been having a similiar problem, not through proper injury but just afew niggles leading up to our shitty winter coupled with a few run ins with dog owners, I lost the will to get out. My fitness level which was never good and what little enthusisam I had left were totally torn to shreds a few weeks ago at the Carron Valley when a guy totally scalped me going up hill ( respect !!!). so my plan at the moment is to stick to what got me interested in cycling in the first place, just pootling about my local trails ( even dusted down the old HT) and also trying to get my wee girl into cycling also, hopefully this will re-ignite the flame, I dont know if this will help you much but rest assured you are not alone.
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    There is no rule that says to be a 'proper mountain biker' you have to cover 40km a day and ride red and black routes at light speed.

We have a few short local fun rides that most people would barely notice but they are our 'smile rides' you get to the end of a piece of track covered in mud with a smile on your face. They are easy (but great fun), brilliant for practicing technique and short enough (the track is about .8 mile long) that you can go back and forth a few times if you want.

Stop worrying about how far/big/long and just enjoy- be the bike version of an Equine 'happy hacker'- its fun and what I love doing!

And if you have an OH who fancies a trip, or a mate who is very novice and you think may like a try drap them out too!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    does anyone have any ideas what i can do to reignite my passion for mountain biking?
    Buy something - anything - for you or the bike. The more expensive it is the more you will be inclined to go out. Works every time.

Can also be quite entertaining riding your local loop in the opposite direction.

Good luck
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    mobilekat wrote:
    There is no rule that says to be a 'proper mountain biker' you have to cover 40km a day and ride red and black routes at light speed.

We have a few short local fun rides that most people would barely notice but they are our 'smile rides' you get to the end of a piece of track covered in mud with a smile on your face. They are easy (but great fun), brilliant for practicing technique and short enough (the track is about .8 mile long) that you can go back and forth a few times if you want.

Stop worrying about how far/big/long and just enjoy- be the bike version of an Equine 'happy hacker'- its fun and what I love doing!

And if you have an OH who fancies a trip, or a mate who is very novice and you think may like a try drap them out too!
    +1 - just get out for a short blast, local trail/woods that you know you can blast around, do some skills work hitting bits multiple times doing different lines and you'll soon get back into it :D
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • I had a similar circumstance after racing supermoto for a while and had a crash, which left my knees in very bad condition for months before I got the ok that my strength was back to par to be able to ride properly.

I found the only way to boost my enthusiasm for it again was to start small, just like everyone has said before. I'd go to the local track, ride a lap and then sit and chill for a little while and eventually would back out for another lap. After a month or 2 of that, I was back to riding full 2-3hr track sessions.

You say you ride to work, why not maybe find other routes to work, and rotate them around a bit, and if you can find some nice easy trails connecting some of the roads. Keep things fresh, and you will soon gain interest I hope.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    It's funny i am in the same place with my surfing (which has been a very major part of my life for the past 6 or so years) so I decided to dig out the MTB (which was a major part of my life before surfing for over 15 years) and glad I did as the stoke has returned to both in a big way, now the problem I have is I don't have enough time or money to satisfy my passions. :lol:

Like the others say go back to your routes small XC rides, or try a different tack (other hobby) the good times will return.

Or as .blitz said, buy something nice for your bike.

hope that helps, falling all that sell all your stuff really cheap on here to us :D
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • everything you all say makes alot of sense, theres a few places around the city i can head to and do smaller loops, i think that sounds like the way forward.

i wasnt basing my issue on the fact i cant be arsed to head out on 40km epics, more the fact that i was doing them and loving them and still can do them, but they have lost the enjoyment factor.

im getting my girlfriend into cycling but she has a sketchy back and cant really go off road, but we get around the town, canal paths, footpaths, head down the coast etc, her enjoyment does rub off on me, but she has to be careful with how she goes for the time being.

the main problem was the lack of interest that i have, but i think short blasts are the way forward

cheers folks
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    mobilekat wrote:

Wise words 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Good News!!!

This slump had passed, been out a couple of times this year, while i spent last year pissing and moaning and finding excuses not to go out, i kept my fitness up and so far this year ive got out atleast once a week, been up the Pentland Hills, and apart from a spot of rustiness in my technique, im back on it.

See you on the trails!!!!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    Great news, welcome back
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Nice one :)

I found that by going out and spending far too much on a bike, I now love getting out again.
    Enthusiasm is kept high by regularly buying things for the bike and thorough cleaning, ensuring she looks as good as new :)

All the money spent is easily justified, by comparing how much I used to spend on beer and crap nights out on the town. No longer do I waste sundays in bed with a hangover.

Got my girlfriend in on it as well now, and have just bought her a bike. She hasn't fallen off yet, so her enthusiasm is still sky high lol.
  • Bozabyka
    Bozabyka Posts: 252
    It happens to me sometimes.
    I find changing from road to mtb breaks the routine and singlespeed adds new challenges
    Sometimes I cant even be bothered to go out and prefer to be on rollers.
    Mixing it up certainly has helped me so far