Humongous Ride from Sunderland to London 27th August

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Me and a friend from Sunderland are riding from Cycle World (Sunderland) to London (approx 300 miles) August 27th (Friday) leaving at 2am.

1st stop York (Bettys tea rooms) at 8-9am for a big breakfast and then onwards to Lincoln area. Quick rest, snooze and shower and leaving again early morning to London bridge.

Then: train home 2pm and the 60mile Great North Ride on the Sunday.

Anyone fancy joining us for a bit of a trundle. you could join and get the train back or get picked up.

everyone welcome. Come keep our spirits up. GPS / Garmin routing available. Not quite finished so welcome to suggest routing.

Dave (and Anth)
Twitter: @RAB2011Dave
Twitter: @cervelomasher
www.justgiving.com/36hourchallenge
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I might see you on the GNR but.. err... I think I'll give the rest a miss, cheers!
    Rules are for fools.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I you decide to ride back, i'll join you :wink:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Is it with:

humungus_speech.jpg

Lord Humongous?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Try not to go the shortest way from York to Lincoln - that would take you through Goole and N Lincs - N Lincs is incredibly tedious to cycle through. It maybe flat but there is nothing to look forward to (aside from Lincoln itself) and it will feel like you are riding forever. Worse if you get a headwind which is not unlikely. Better to find a route in the hillier country further West. Can't suggest anything specific though but there is some nice scenery west of the A1.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thanks Rolf. Helpful advice. apprecaite that. I'll finish routing Friday and take that into acc. had thought about thetford area but it is quite flat. we'll see.

Dave
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    thanks Rolf. Helpful advice. apprecaite that. I'll finish routing Friday and take that into acc. had thought about thetford area but it is quite flat. we'll see.

Dave

Thetford is a long way off line I'd have thought (though I think pleasant cycling).

Trouble with completely flat areas is there are too many completely straight roads! Once you are in Lincoln you again have a bit of an issue about where to go next - I think you'll find nice routes down through to Bourne and towards Peterborough but then you'll have a potential long session through the Fens to Cambridgeshire which will be nice again.
    Faster than a tent.......