Humongous Ride from Sunderland to London 27th August

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
Me and a friend from Sunderland are riding from Cycle World (Sunderland) to London (approx 300 miles) August 27th (Friday) leaving at 2am.

1st stop York (Bettys tea rooms) at 8-9am for a big breakfast and then onwards to Lincoln area. Quick rest, snooze and shower and leaving again early morning to London bridge.

Then: train home 2pm and the 60mile Great North Ride on the Sunday.

Anyone fancy joining us for a bit of a trundle. you could join and get the train back or get picked up.

everyone welcome. Come keep our spirits up. GPS / Garmin routing available. Not quite finished so welcome to suggest routing.

Dave (and Anth)
Twitter: @RAB2011Dave
Twitter: @cervelomasher
www.justgiving.com/36hourchallenge
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'd have being interested on cycling from York to London but I'm crap with booking trains and ain't it like £100 from London to York?. What sort of speeds would you be doing?
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    If i can stay awake i'll accompany you's to the A19, then i'll get the train back :wink:

Seriously tho, good luck :)
  • freehub
    Trains go from london to york via the Grand Central train company. advance ticket less than 40 quid i think.
    will be leaving bettys (york tea rooms) about 10.30am Friday. Be there at 8.30/9am having breakfast and travelling south to london, stoping during the night for a shower / food, couple hours kip and onwards early hours to London bridge. train back 2pm ish.
    welcome to join us for some or all.
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • brin wrote:
    If i can stay awake i'll accompany you's to the A19, then i'll get the train back :wink:

Seriously tho, good luck :)

oooh, that would be so lovely. Will you be able to make it that far. you can turn back in rhyope if you like! ;-)
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • freehub wrote:
    What sort of speeds would you be doing?

somewhere around 14-17 on average i reckon. its a group ride though so whatever is comfortable is determined by who is with us. easy going, enjoying the steady pace i'd think. the odd climb, the odd sprint and the odd fast downhill. just a regular adventure

:-)

Dave
    (www.justgiving.com/36hourchallenge)
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    freehub
    Trains go from london to york via the Grand Central train company. advance ticket less than 40 quid i think.
    will be leaving bettys (york tea rooms) about 10.30am Friday. Be there at 8.30/9am having breakfast and travelling south to london, stoping during the night for a shower / food, couple hours kip and onwards early hours to London bridge. train back 2pm ish.
    welcome to join us for some or all.

Where would you be stopping? How much would that be costing?

I'd find it an achievement going to London on the bike but I reckon it'd all cost abit much for me, I'll see what I am doing I could probs tow you all 50 miles south then make my way back home that'd be about 130 miles for me.
  • stopping small hotel for a shower, rest, snacks / food and a couple hours snooze. 10-15 quid each ish + your train back from london (book online).

welcome for part or all. no sweat though, its 200 miles from york onwards.
    Twitter @roadbikedave