Returning to commuting after long break

c16
c16 Posts: 9
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Today I completed my first commute to work in many years, now it's around 10mile trip in total so not too long but lack of fitness and an old MTrax 1000 in not tip top condition and a stuffed backpack shows some changes need to be made.

I was pleasantly surprised by the time it took; little more than driving and I even managed to avoid hitting the guy who opened his stationary drivers door right in front of me so all's well :wink:

Now i'm wondering as the rear wheel sounds past it's best whether to save up for a hybrid. It's not too hilly in general and it's a mixture of tracks and asphalt. Looking around though although for your money you can now get alu frames and disc brakes have come on the groupsets and equipment seem pretty close to my 16yr old MTB.

I am looking at the £300 budget range and choices are difficult as each have their pros and cons, keeping an eye out for secondhand as well, at the moment it's a fair weather commute though that might change, i'm not wanting to spend too much incase circumstances change and I would still like to get a replacement MTB in the future.

Any tips or suggestions?

Comments

• My advice? Keep using the MTrax - it seems to be an excellent frame. Why replace something that might not need replacing? It is tempting to think that newer will buy you better, but it is not always true. At the kind of prices you are quoting, you are likely to buy a clunker. If you want to go faster, get some slick or semi-slick tyres, depending on terrain.

If the cycle-commuting bug bites in a few months, then you will have a much greater idea of what kind of bike you might want (it might not be a hybrid, maybe a cyclo-cross bike, or a road bike).

The only proviso to all this is: you say the back wheel sounds bad - what kind of bad? It might just need servicing. However, if it might not be safe, then stop using it until you find out.

BTW this thread might interest you, too.
  • c16
    c16 Posts: 9
    Yes that is a good point, unfortunately though their are quite a few bits which need fettling and replacing and unless I come into them via the secondhand route at a cheap price then it will soon start totting up.

I could do with two set of wheels, either rebuilding myself with at least new spokes, tyres and innertubes. The brakes need new lines, probably the gears too as their out of sync. Then an overall really good service is required. As i've already lended it out to other family members for occasional use it's more work than it's worth at the moment.

As it's no longer a minter it seems a better option to put that money towards a replacement in a couple of weeks/months time, therefore any suggestions would be welcomed.
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    its sounds like general matinenece, 1st rule of thumb get your maintenece skills up as there is the most savings (not saying you're not good or anything by the way!)

Weigh up the pro's and cons. If you can borrow a hybird do the route, is it better? will the MTB be better?

Upgrading yes can be costy but if the frame is right for you then as above stick to it, but, maintain the parts first and see what needs replacing as you're only assuming right?

You'd be suprised, i've whipped up my salsa now as the work bike, i had knackered bearings and axle in the front of an early 90's stx-rc wheel which has lasted a year! and the old mech i used again same time range was violently going out of true and only just changed it now.

Just go for the deals, pruime time soon as 2011 stuff is coming out so look around for the 09' gear going cheap if you're taking either the bike or upgrade route.

Terry