Hi and upgrade query?

naths
naths Posts: 47
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi to everyone here,iv just bought my new bike..cannondale SL2,and its great....the question iv got is a friend of mine has some Avid Elixir CR brakes that he doesnt need....he owes me a favour and said i could have these,they are as new condition....are they a good upgrade from the shimano M486?..they also come with avid cleansweep3 185mm rotors..the cannondale has 160mm rotors,is it a major job to swap and is it worth it??...many thanks in advance

Comments

• im not sure what the shimanos are like, so cant really comment on whether itll be an upgrade, but the elixirs are amazing brakes, with 185mm rotors they stop you pretty much whatever the conditions.

as for changing, its swapping the rotors and the levers (both easy) and mounting the calipers, which means you need to check you have the right adaptors and mounts for it to work.
  • They are amazing brakes, and as long as you have the right adaptors for your forks, it's a 10-15 minute job.

Just make sure you have everything you need to get it to work, and it will be an amazing upgrade for ya!