A week in Scotland

bmbgrs
bmbgrs Posts: 23
edited August 2010 in Routes
Hi all,

I've got a week off at the start of Oct, and want to head to Scotland to get a weeks riding in. So where should I head to for rides that aren't super technical DH? Tour about a bit, or stay in one place. I'll be in a car, so getting about isn't a problem.

I don't know the country at all, so any advice much appreciated.

G

Comments

• mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    The best starting point is
    http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/

I have only been to Glentress, and I fell in love (and am going back this autumn!)

Have fun!!!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Glentress is superb. The Red and the Blue are fantastic and not too difficult.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    .....seems like forever....
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I did a loop around Ben Nevis which was amazing. Skye is interesting if you like the natural stuff too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • For non technical stuff you can not go far wrong with basing yourself in Aviemore in the Cairngorms, an incredible amount of long to short XC rides available in an incredible setting, all in the remnants of the old caladonian pine forrests.
  • bmbgrs
    bmbgrs Posts: 23
    These are all great suggestions. I don't mind technical XC, but technical DH will no doubt break me and my bike!
  • The obvious choice has been mentioned but may I suggest basing yourself in Dumfries;

1hr from Kirroughtree, The best Stane.
    1. 1/2hr from GT/Inners
    1/2 -3/4hr from Ae, Mabie, Dalbeattie and Drumlanrigg

Google Drumlanrigg
    from the 7Stanes web site there are accom choices. Further choices can be found if you use the various shop web sites.

You could also pop into Whinlatter @ Keswick and maybe Keilder depending on where you are coming from.

Further north do a google for bike clubs in the Stirling and Perth areas
  • Well if that is the case there is also bags of more technical stuff, non technical the big loops in the rothiemurchus.... Loch Eillean, loch Gamhna, out to loch Morlich, Ryovan bothy, Slugain etc.
    Technical, Glen Feshie singletrack, Lairig ghru descent from the lodge, Meall bhuiridh....there is a lot to cover, more than you can shake a stick at, there is also Laggan wolftrax nearby..a good trail center with red and black routes.