hhelp with a ventoux trip please

andybott
andybott Posts: 22
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
so me and a mate are planning ventoux next summer. We plan to go on the train but are wondering wether we ought to stay in bedoin or if we could stay in avignon and cycle across to the mountain, thus saving the rental of a car.

How is the ride from avignon please? Both directions up the mountain if anyone can help.

Any other tips for the trip welcome.

cheers

Andy

Comments

• Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Did this trip last year. Although you may want something more challenging, the
    scenery esp Gorge de Verdon was excellent.

http://classicroad.skedaddle.co.uk/holi ... view.rails
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I did Ventoux from Bedoin and Sault in the summer. You can cycle to bedoin from Avignon but you'll use up energy and time that you'll probably want for getting up ventoux itself. It's best to leave Bedoin early (e.g 8am ish) so that it's not too hot by the time you get up to the open section after the chalet reynard. The first section from Bedoin to the forested steep bit is fine for warming up in... so all in all stay in Bedoin is my top tip! Have fun... it's a great ride!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • storck
    storck Posts: 64
    Another option would be to stay the night near the Ventoux try Veloventoux.com Craig&Vicky stay 20min ride away in Faucon great people,really nice area im goin over in 3weeks cant wait as other post said you want be fresh before you go up Ventoux especially from the Bedoin side,good luck....
  • Andy I did a 6 day cicular tour from Avignon going all the way round Mont Ventoux finally climbing it from Carpentras which is a bit mearer at about 6 miles to ventoux.The last day i went from Carpentras to Sault and back to aavignon via Gorge de la Nesque.this alowed me to have 2 interchangeable days to get the best weather which can be unpredictable weather on Mont Ventoux; the mistral wind blows any time of the year: if it's a headwind you can add a couple of percent onto the gradients. If it's behind you... well i would have felt I'd cheated. It took in a couple of gorges and a number of cols of 700 to 900 feet and was 50 to 70 miles a day. I've posted the trip on the ctc touring archive but if you can't access it then pm me and I'll get it sent to you
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    storck wrote:
    Another option would be to stay the night near the Ventoux try Veloventoux.com Craig&Vicky stay 20min ride away in Faucon great people,really nice area im goin over in 3weeks cant wait as other post said you want be fresh before you go up Ventoux especially from the Bedoin side,good luck....

+1
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    +2 for Craig & Vicky @ Veloventoux.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.