Disabled cycling

Zingzang
Zingzang Posts: 196
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
I paralysed my right arm in a road accident twenty four years ago. A year after the accident I joined a cycling club, and in the late 1980's/early 90's competed in club and open time trials.

I've just got back into cycling again after a long lay off and I've got two questions I would be grateful for some help with.

Firstly, what opportunties are there, if any, for "disabled" cyclists to compete in time trials against other disabled cyclists, rather than exclusively able-bodied ones?

Secondly, when riding a bike I could benefit from some sort of orthotic device to brace the defective arm and help it support my upper body weight. A more aerodynamic riding position might also be achievable this way. I have been told that a company called PACE do these sorts of things, but that they are very expensive. Does anyone know what my chances are of getting something like this on the NHS rather than having to pay for it myself?

Thanks!

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    You might find some answers, help, links and guidance on the British Cycling's Disability Cycling site, particularly in respect to access to competitions. The National TT championship is coming up soon... 8) I hope some of this info gets you going in the right direction.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Have a look at last nights Saints & Scroungers on BBC iPlayer. Young lad paralysed from waist down following a motorcross bike accident was helped to achieve his dream of car racing. Best of luck with your ambition!!
    2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Your main chance to race in TTs against other cyclists with disabilities is in the Cycling Time Trials Rudy Project Series. The Series is made up of 8 events spread across the season on different courses up and down the country. It's the most prestigious TT series that takes place in the UK and there are categories for seniors, women, juniors, vets and disability riders. There are usually something between 5 and 10 disability riders in the disability section but these could be hand-cyclists, visually impaired riders on a tandem with a sighted pilot, amputees or riders with cerebral palsy. Times are adjusted for the disabilities in line with the latest UCI classifications I believe. There is still time to enter the last few events of the season if you get your skates on as they go on until mid October.

Apart from that there is a Disability TT Championship each year which is sometimes (but not always) part of the overall British TT Championships in early September.

Have a look on the CTT website http://www.ctt.org.uk/ under 'Competitions' although, TBH, the information there doesn't look too great. Maybe contact Keith Lawton (Competitions Sec for the CTT) via the CTT website and I'm sure he'll be very helpful.

Ruth
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm a disabled cyclist (currently at the Paracycling World Championships in Canada and preparing to ride the TT this Friday!). I can probably help you quite a bit but the best person to contact is Paul West at British Cycling - he is the Disability Coordinator.

paulwest@britishcycling.org.uk

The National Disability TT Championships are coming up on Sept 5 In Kent - contact Paul for info on how to enter - but do it soon as entries will be closing shortly.

There is also a series of road races for disabled riders in the UK - all on closed roads or circuits and the competition level suits all riders.

Hope this helps - and send me a PM if you have more questions - I'll see what I can do.

Colin
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    Many thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. I've been looking into disabled cycling on the internet and I'll be following up the leads I've been given.

One of the things that prompted me to post my thread was that I saw someone riding his bike quite swiftly near to my home (in Manchester) last week. He was wearing British Cycling kit and had only one arm (his left, I think). He looked a very good rider.

Pokerface (Colin), I'd be interested to hear about your experience at the World Championships. It sounds like you're riding at a pretty serious level.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Zingzang wrote:
    Many thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. I've been looking into disabled cycling on the internet and I'll be following up the leads I've been given.

One of the things that prompted me to post my thread was that I saw someone riding his bike quite swiftly near to my home (in Manchester) last week. He was wearing British Cycling kit and had only one arm (his left, I think). He looked a very good rider.

Pokerface (Colin), I'd be interested to hear about your experience at the World Championships. It sounds like you're riding at a pretty serious level.

The guy you saw in Manchester was probably Russ White - who is also here (now) at the World's. He's a very good rider (and I spoke with him today!)

I live in Macclesfield (near Manchester) so am happy to meet up with you when I get back next week.

Cheers,
    Colin