Top tips....

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Maybe mine should be in the workshop section, but I'm hoping you fine guys and gals will have a myriad of others from how best to de-stink shoes to get a lovely shine on your steed.

Anyhoo.......You may never use this, but if you ever decide to lace your own wheel this is a sweetie;

When building wheels (ESPECIALLY onto deep-dish rims) take a little electricians screwdriver, file or grind the end shorter leaving a little spike sticking up which will locate into the centre of the nipples. A little blob of the wax from the wrapping of a mini baby bell cheese on the end of the driver and hey presto!

The nipples stay on the end of the screwdriver, you don't have to count the turns screwing them on (because the end of the spoke pushes the spike and stops the scredriver turning the nipple at exactly the same depth). The wax seems to stay on the driver and not transfer to the nipple (important to weight weenies?) and you don't spend ages rattling your rims to get out that bloody nipple that got lost inside the rim.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.