Touring Literature

spinningcreeps
spinningcreeps Posts: 20
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
I recently watched Rob Penn's Ride of My Life documentary on the Beeb and it was a thoroughly enjoyable show, I'd recommend going on iPlayer and checking it out. Anyway, at one stage Rob explains, when showing us his bike collection, that he cycled round the world. For some reason this triggered something in my head and I have become obsessed with the idea of going on a huge cycling tour. Unfortunately for the time being it remains a dream and my planning is for 10 years down the line. Anyway, since then I have immersed myself in Alistair Humphreys' book, Mark Beaumonts', numerous travel books, the adventure cycling travel books, "Why dont you fly" back door to beijing and many others.

I was wondering whether any of you have any recommendations for brilliant reading on the subject. I'm open to writing for any location, in virtually any style as long as it is informative and a decent read.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Dervla Murphy. Not round the world, but she did lots of exciting trips with and without bikes starting back in the 60's. Try In Ethiopia with a Mile and Full Tilt.

You could also try the Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook for practical information and ideas.
    More problems but still living....
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Josie Dew

Alistair Humphries

Anne Mustoe who passed away last year whilst on tour.

CrazyGuyOnAbike.com -
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 162989&v=j
    and
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 161247&v=Y
    2 excellent journals I'm following although there are many many great journals to read on CGOAB.com

Edward Enfield

Tim Moore

Nick Danziger

William Dalrymple
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • wjhall
    wjhall Posts: 151
    John Foster Fraser, 'Round the World on a Wheel', reprinted, abridged Chatto % WIndus 1982.

Presumably the forefather of them all, 1896, the great days of the empire, a saddlebag, a revolver and off you go... (Actually, as a journalist, there may have been more backup in the background.)
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    The Great Bike Ride -Around the world in 80 days by Nick Sanders..An oldie but avaiiable on Amazon..Now writes motorbike travel books instead..
    jc
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    jc4lab wrote:
    The Great Bike Ride -Around the world in 80 days by Nick Sanders..An oldie but avaiiable on Amazon..Now writes motorbike travel books instead..

I think I read his book a couple of years ago. Is he the guy who completed a RTW in the 1970s/early 1980s, carried all his stuff in two small front panniers and maybe a bar bag. I found the book languishing in my local library. A real lucky find and great read. He did it all unsupported as well. He slept in fields, no tent or it fell apart early in his trip, anywhere safe to rest his head.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    journey to the centre of the earth by the crane cousins stands out as entertaining and informative.

dervla murphy and josie dew also.

And that american bloke who did the world on a penny farthing 100years ago.

some travel books tell you a lot of history that you could get from an encyclopedia if you wanted it.
    the hannibal trip showing on tv at the moment is very much that.
    I like to hear about what happened to the rider, what equipment they used , how they found a place to sleep and what they eat and who they met.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • roryboy
    roryboy Posts: 44
    A gringos journey, cant remember the author but a brilliant read. Travels with rosinante, by Bernard Magnaloux, a truly eccentric mad frenchman. I think Ian Hibbert is another old time traveller. Just google the names and you should come up with the right info and possibly where you'll be able to buy. happy reading and planning.
  • Hi. Not sure about the "brilliant reading", but I've been on the road for just over two years and I keep a blog on my website. www.acousticmotorbike.com
    Aidan
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Rob Lilwall- Cycling Home From Siberia
    Why don't you fly? Beijing- Can't remember author
    Discovery Road- Tim Garret (and other guy)
    I just finished Al Humphries first book and started the other for a second time. Very good read.
  • try this: The Longest Climb By D. Faulkner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Longest-Climb-G ... 692&sr=8-1

it was written by an old teacher of mine at school, him and my housemaster did the expedition with a few friends, they cycled from the lowest point on earth, to everest basecamp and then summited everest. its a great read and i see him occasionally so any questions for him you can ask through me.
  • On the travelling two website - they posted an article on free touring e-books plus the adresses where you can download the books

http://travellingtwo.com/6211
    BicycleTraveler is a free digital magazine on international bicycle touring. www.bicycletraveler.nl