Lookee what I built.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Surprisingly comfy position....on initial test!

IMG_0302.jpg

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    edited August 2010
    Gonna be hard to ride with only one pedal and no back wheel though...

EDIT
    oops - picture must have only half uploaded when I viewed first.....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Or did you mean the pooch?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    Wilma is just a camaera tart - Assume you are not scrolling though the pic then....!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    The black hubs & seat post don't go well with the chrome & steel of the bars, cranks, chainring and pedals etc.

I do like the bars & stem though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    SimonAH wrote:
    Gonna be hard to ride with only one pedal and no back wheel though...

EDIT
    oops - picture must have only half uploaded when I viewed first.....
    I get this idea of fixed bikes not needing brakes (though I wouldn't be brave enough to do it myself) but doesn't that rely on having a chain?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • gtvlusso
    Yeah - it is a bit of a mix, most of the parts are from my shed, hence the mish mash - I will probably swap out the "finishing kit" for wither all silver or all black when funds allow!
  • You forgot the chain. It's an easy mistake.
  • gtvlusso
    To be honest - I used an old chain on the initial test.....and It broke....new chain on order.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Get 'ee with they track bars!

That's quite a reach to the drops...or do you have very long arms?

Very pretty.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im trying to work out how you are going to stop considering its either freewheel and no brakes or fixed with no toe straps/clipless pedals.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    spasypaddy wrote:
    im trying to work out how you are going to stop considering its either freewheel and no brakes or fixed with no toe straps/clipless pedals.

Feet on the floor, or on the front wheel. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gtvlusso
    Yeah - clipless pedals and front brake on order.....Used the toe clips off my other bike for the tests, bit sketchy!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Very nice.. p.s. whats the bike stand?
  • gtvlusso
    @iPete - the bikestand is from Halfords, absolute garbage! I think they are £9.99 each.....really bad design.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Yeah - clipless pedals and front brake on order.....Used the toe clips off my other bike for the tests, bit sketchy!
    ah good good.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Do you have enough post showing on your mountain bike?
  • gtvlusso
    gaz545 wrote:
    Do you have enough post showing on your mountain bike?

Hmm - I am in a bit of a quandry about that - I like the reach of the 16" frame, but need the seatpost to be a little longer - i.e. 18"

Works fine as is and the seatpost is at min insert level.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    @iPete - the bikestand is from Halfords, absolute garbage! I think they are £9.99 each.....really bad design.
    Is that comment directed at them just as a 'fettling' stand, or as a stand full-stop?

We have 2 newish bikes that we are keeping indoors for a few months (while using them day-to-day), in the kitchen and utility room. Nowhere handly to lean them without having to move them around and put one on top of the other :shock: . I was looking at one of these as a cheap way to keep them stood up. Are they unsuitable even for that, in your experience?

Sorry, this is not related to why you posted. Turning to that:

Love the colour, and the bar shape. I hope you will be getting chrome wheels and seatpost, and white saddle and tyres once funds are available - or will you rebel and go for something else?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Is that comment directed at them just as a 'fettling' stand, or as a stand full-stop?

We have 2 newish bikes that we are keeping indoors for a few months (while using them day-to-day), in the kitchen and utility room. Nowhere handly to lean them without having to move them around and put one on top of the other :shock: . I was looking at one of these as a cheap way to keep them stood up. Are they unsuitable even for that, in your experience?

They don't stand the bike very well at all - tend to topple over, even with low weight bikes. I bought one of these for storage:

00495.jpg

Surprisingly, from Halfords - works a treat! The little "prop" stands fall to bits and rely on being 100% level to keep the bike upright. Also the bolts come undone and the metal base legs bend....just cheap and shoddy.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ...We have 2 newish bikes that we are keeping indoors for a few months .... Nowhere handly to lean them without having to move them around and put one on top of the other :shock: . I was looking at one of these as a cheap way to keep them stood up. ...

How much height do you have? I've used a clothes-pulley type setup in an Edinburgh flat to raise the bike out of the way. Couple of pulleys on the ceiling, hooks for seat & bars, cleat on the wall and you're sorted. You can even buy a kit for the job- I've got one around somewhere that I was given, so I could try & find the manufacturer for you, if you like.

Something like this.

Cheers,
    W.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

They don't stand the bike very well at all - tend to topple over, even with low weight bikes. I bought one of these for storage:

00495.jpg

Surprisingly, from Halfords - works a treat! The little "prop" stands fall to bits and rely on being 100% level to keep the bike upright. Also the bolts come undone and the metal base legs bend....just cheap and shoddy.

I`ve got one of them, it`s fine for road bikes but fat mountain bike tyres won't fit in it.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Nice looking bike. When its all done I'm sure we'll all want to have a look.

I'm building a fixie too, but I'm going for a 'rat' look. My frame has faded paintwork with bits of surface rust spotting, missing/ripped decal stickers, ripped saddle, old scratched 105 brake levers, surface (external only) rust on the headset and (until I get a new, longer one) on the seatpost too. Wheels, chainset, pedals brake blocks and bartape will all be new.

I want a bike I can lock up unsupervised and not worry about it getting nicked, but rides OK.

What wheels are you using? I've been looking at Pro-Lite Pair Wheels Rosa Alloy wheels as they are cheap and cheerful. They come fixed/fixed with two sprockets. £145 delivered.
    If you know of better (cheaper) let me know.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gtvlusso
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Nice looking bike. When its all done I'm sure we'll all want to have a look.

I'm building a fixie too, but I'm going for a 'rat' look. My frame has faded paintwork with bits of surface rust spotting, missing/ripped decal stickers, ripped saddle, old scratched 105 brake levers, surface (external only) rust on the headset and (until I get a new, longer one) on the seatpost too. Wheels, chainset, pedals brake blocks and bartape will all be new.

I want a bike I can lock up unsupervised and not worry about it getting nicked, but rides OK.

What wheels are you using? I've been looking at Pro-Lite Pair Wheels Rosa Alloy wheels as they are cheap and cheerful. They come fixed/fixed with two sprockets. £145 delivered.
    If you know of better (cheaper) let me know.

Yup - check this thread on lfgss:

http://www.lfgss.com/thread44996.html#post1576131

That guy built mine for £135 delivered, seem to be strong wheels.

My current fixie is looking a bit dog eared and my front wheel is worn out - hence the new build. I will refurb my old frame when I finish this bike off and start riding it.
  • gtvlusso wrote:

00495.jpg

Cheers, I'll look for something similar.
  • ...We have 2 newish bikes that we are keeping indoors for a few months .... Nowhere handly to lean them without having to move them around and put one on top of the other :shock: . I was looking at one of these as a cheap way to keep them stood up. ...

How much height do you have? I've used a clothes-pulley type setup in an Edinburgh flat to raise the bike out of the way. Couple of pulleys on the ceiling, hooks for seat & bars, cleat on the wall and you're sorted. You can even buy a kit for the job- I've got one around somewhere that I was given, so I could try & find the manufacturer for you, if you like.

Something like this.

Cheers,
    W.
    Ta Buns, but we have 8ft ceilings and there are no convenient places for a hoist, or at least no places my wife would let me have one :(
    [/thread hijack]
  • EKE_38BPM
    GTVLUSSO, thanks for the lfgss link.

Whats the quality like? Did that price include tyres and tubes?

I may have to join lfgss to buy a pair.

• EKE_38BPM
    Contact made with the seller, rim, hub and spoke colour chosen, spoke pattern selected.

Order to be placed once price is confirmed. Are you happy with the quality of the wheel, lacing etc. I want to know if the builder does this with love in his heart or his eyes on the money.

My first pair of hand made wheels and they're going on my beater?!

• gtvlusso
    Wheels are pretty good - not the lightest, but they are obscenely deep rims.

Seem to work well this morning. Finished bike:

IMG_0336.jpg

For some reason, photobucket won't rotate the image.....
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    gtvlusso wrote:

IMG_0336.jpg

Did you let the latest offspring out in the garden with the Fisher Price camera, or did you use a nokia cameraphone? :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gtvlusso
    redvee wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

IMG_0336.jpg

Did you let the latest offspring out in the garden with the Fisher Price camera, or did you use a nokia cameraphone? :lol:

Pffft - iPhone!!!

*I work for a certain Finnish manufacturer though.....