Has the world run out of...

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
Zips?

I spent half last week trying to buy a pair of jeans. How many do you suppose there were with a zip fly? Can anyone tell me what is the point of button flies?
[/grumpy old man rant]

Comments

• Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Fashion. Or not getting your John Thomas caught between the teeth.

Has the world run out of shoes? I see many people who ought to know better flapping along in dignity destroying flip-flops or crocs.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Burton! Got my jeans from there and they were mostly zip fly. Well made too, these have been abused quite readily, and have even been on the bike a few times for shop visits. No sign of wear!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Just wear yer lycra shorts everywhere.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    bompington wrote:
    Zips?
    Can anyone tell me what is the point of button flies?
    [/grumpy old man rant]

They are to remind you that you should have went to the toilet when you 1st felt the urge, instead of waiting til last minute, then panicking at the urinal when you realise you have to undo the buttons :roll:
  • brin wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Zips?
    Can anyone tell me what is the point of button flies?
    [/grumpy old man rant]

They are to remind you that you should have went to the toilet when you 1st felt the urge, instead of waiting til last minute, then panicking at the urinal when you realise you have to undo the buttons :roll:

Rhubarb, buttons are quicker than zips to open. Open the top button as you would any other button then just pull apart.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    And if one goes the rest will still keep your flies shut.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Buttons or zip, it always takes time when you have to unstrap "it" from your leg............................
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    davelakers wrote:
    I don't like buttons or zips, they always interfere with my strap-on.......

Fixed that for ya
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Ever since getting a pair with buttons, I no longer want jeans with any kind of zip.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Ever since i caught my sausage in the zip, i've stopped using zip flies..

Button is fine for me :D Easy access to for when it's needed :lol:
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    anto164 wrote:

Ever considered wearing underpants like everyone else?? :P
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Flasheart wrote:
    anto164 wrote:

Captain Flasheart: "Is that a canoe in my trousers or am I just pleased to see you, maam!"
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • ryan93
    ryan93 Posts: 186
    You should look in GAP. They have some pretty good jeans at about £30 a pair and they all have zips or you could try Rollersnakes.com they have tons of jeans.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Button fly is much better, hate zips now....although i'm having the opposite problem. Everywhere I look I'm always finding zip flys and no buttons!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Any left handed people think buttons are a great idea?

It's a one sided life :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Ollieda
    I'm left handed and prefer buttons, but not because I'm left handed. Being left handed doesn't mean I have an inability to perform tasks with my right hand.....if its easier to use the right hand, use it.

Read out of context this post could have a very different meaning :wink:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I use both hands, because I need too! :shock:
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Cressers wrote:
    Fashion. Or not getting your John Thomas caught between the teeth.

Say no more....... :twisted:
    bagpuss
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Ollieda wrote:
    I'm left handed and prefer buttons, but not because I'm left handed. Being left handed doesn't mean I have an inability to perform tasks with my right hand.....if its easier to use the right hand, use it.

Read out of context this post could have a very different meaning :wink:

Being left handed means being ambidextrous which can be useful.

All meanings aside :wink:

I still find fly buttons bloody awkward though :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    daviesee wrote:
    Any left handed people think buttons are a great idea?

It's a one sided life :wink:
    Hadn't thought of this, I am indeed left handed.

I still can't get past the fact that buttons are slower and more fiddly (if that's a good word to use in that region) than zips. What is the advantage of buttons?
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Flasheart wrote:
    anto164 wrote:

I do normally, but not always :P
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I find that explosive charges work best, the type that are used to remove the canopy of a jet before the ejector seat fires.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Buttons are better than zips, except when you are wearing a belt and need a pee. But then they are also slower to do up as well..... maybe zips are not so bad after all
  • Ollieda
    They are slower for doing up but I don't see how there is a problem undoing them. Once you've worn them a few times you learn to undo them easily and quickly, and you don't need to remove the belt.

I wonder if button flys would be more likely to set off the metal detectors at airports?......If i test it I'll make sure its the hot female security guard working that day!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    They all wear button flys in Norfolk as the farmyard animals have learnt to recognise the sound of a zip.
  • guilliano wrote:
    Buttons are better than zips, except when you are wearing a belt and need a pee. But then they are also slower to do up as well..... maybe zips are not so bad after all

You aren't one of those people who look for your keys once you have reached the front door are you? I hate people who do that. Same attitude toward wearing a belt & buttons while busting, the belt is undone in the last 2 steps toward the urinal.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Levi 506 & 507's are zippy jobs.

I always buy Geordie Jeans cos they're tight around the arse.
  • Ollieda
    guilliano wrote:

You aren't one of those people who look for your keys once you have reached the front door are you? I hate people who do that. Same attitude toward wearing a belt & buttons while busting, the belt is undone in the last 2 steps toward the urinal.

Do you lot wear your belts really tight or something? Mine normally has enough slack in it so I can raise it the centimeter or so the be able to undo the top button, but still plenty tight to keep the jeans up.

Maybe I'm wearing my belts wrong :lol:
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    funnily enough, this topic was mentioned on Ken Bruce show, radio 2 this morning, apparently the time it takes to 'button up' could deem the person guilty of 'loitering' :shock:
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    Flasheart wrote:
    anto164 wrote:

not everone wears pants boxers i never have
    going downhill slowly