50 miler

DCowling
DCowling Posts: 769
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
Hi all
Just wanted to shout from the roof tops that I have just ( well yestrerday) done my first 50 mile bike ride.
I started riding in early June and have been steadily building up to this target and so I am chuffed.
I currently ride a full suspension MTB and managed my ride in 3hrs 45min which I thought was quite good.
I hope to get a road bike in the next couple of months so I can really go for it.
Sorry to bore you all but I am Really Really Chuffed

Dave :D:D

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Nice one mate! You're gonna fly on that roadie when you get it!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    if you can do that on a FS mtb - you will be fast when you get a road bike
  • DCowling
    Thanks for the encouragement :D:D

in case any one is interested

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/first-50-miler

Iv'e re-posted this on the beginners page
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Congrats, I was shouting from the rooftops when I did my first 12 miles let alone 50 :p

Don't get yer hopes up about a road bike making you go that much faster though, when I went from a Saracen MTB, to a road bike, I reckon it added only about 2mph on the flats.
  • DCowling
    edited August 2010
    freehub wrote:
    Congrats, I was shouting from the rooftops when I did my first 12 miles let alone 50 :p

Don't get yer hopes up about a road bike making you go that much faster though, when I went from a Saracen MTB, to a road bike, I reckon it added only about 2mph on the flats.

I hope it will be easier rather than faster on a roadbike, that is the theory anyway :?

But thankyou, I have to admit, it has taken a lot to get to the 50 and then It was determination ( and Lucozade) that got me through the final 8 miles.
    I now go out at least 3 times a week and have got so that I can do 30 comfortably but am now determined to aim for 75 but think that is a lot on a MTB, but hell I'll give it a go

:D
  • freehub
    DCowling wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I hope it will be easier rather than faster on a roadbike, that is the theory anyway :?

No it won't be easier, because you'll be going faster and using the same effort.
  • DCowling
    freehub wrote:
    DCowling wrote:
    freehub wrote:

No it won't be easier, because you'll be going faster and using the same effort.
    Prehaps I should re-phrase

I hope to get more miles for the effort with a road bike
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    Well done on your 50!
    I'm sure you'll find your road bike quicker and less effort with the fitness you've built up on your MTB.
  • freehub
    DCowling wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    DCowling wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Prehaps I should re-phrase

I hope to get more miles for the effort with a road bike

Maybe, but you do want to go faster don't you? You'd never improve sticking to 13.3mph on a road bike, you'd end up plateauing I think.
  • DCowling
    Definatley want to go faster but now I know I have a certain level of fitness, I want to go further, maybe build upto a 100 and think it maybe a little more realistic on a road bike as opposed to the mtb
  • DCowling
    I have to admit I have been fishing for congrats

say to the Mrs that " hey.. Iv'e done 50mile"

and may as well have said

" I've took the bins out"
  • freehub
    DCowling wrote:
    I have to admit I have been fishing for congrats

say to the Mrs that " hey.. Iv'e done 50mile"

and may as well have said

" I've took the bins out"

Take your missus on a 50 mile and see how she feels at the end of it.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Nicely done. It looks like using that loop would make a nice 100km ride for me, so I may give that a go some time.
  • Well done fella, brilliant feeling on your first 50 miler (did mine a few weeks ago) but to do it on a MTB AND in a good time is even better.

I read somewhere that a MTB is normally at least 20-30% more work than a roadie (pros please correct me!) so you will bladdy tear along when you get one.

You'll be in lycra before you know it too. Oh yes you will.
    Giant Rapid 3
  • Does your wife know you've been visiting Norton Lindsey and Hampton Lucy?
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Congrats on the milestone. You will progress so qucikly from here if you keep up the enthusiasm. It doesnt seem that long ago that I was chuffed with myself for cycling an 18mile route in an evening. Yesterday I rode a fairly hilly 130.5 mile ride and felt really good afterwards.

I was cycling back with another member of the club who was dead on his ar$e. He was complaining that he cant keep up with others in the group. I just asked him how many of his peers (he is 43, overweight and a beginner) could do what he has just done. That perked him up a bit thinking like that, but he ws almost in tears of jubiliation at the end for what he had just achieved.
  • DCowling
    whyamihere wrote:
    Nicely done. It looks like using that loop would make a nice 100km ride for me, so I may give that a go some time.

It's a great ride only dodgy bit's are the main roads into Stratford and crossing the Warwick rd can be a bit hairy.
    I fancy having a go at Henly to Banbury and back another route but I know there are some good climbs on the way , especially if I go via Shipston on Stour and Chipping Norton
  • DCowling
    Well done fella, brilliant feeling on your first 50 miler (did mine a few weeks ago) but to do it on a MTB AND in a good time is even better.

I read somewhere that a MTB is normally at least 20-30% more work than a roadie (pros please correct me!) so you will bladdy tear along when you get one.

You'll be in lycra before you know it too. Oh yes you will.

I already am in the Lycra, tried without and it was not nice :(:(
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    The next milestone is 62 miles for the 100km (if that makes sense?)

Due to an administrative error (ie I went the wrong way!) I missed out by less than 2km yesterday.

Bob