Cars suck,

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
My show car has decided to throw all the oil out the exhaust so I have the following options

Engine rebuild at £350 for parts plus all the time it will take or a replacement engine.
Sourced one for £160 but I will need to pay a mate to do all the work involved. so the price will end up the same and then I will still want to fix the mullered engine.

My bikes' never going to break down so spectacularly and it never needs weekly feeds at £1.20 a litre.

Bikes don't suck.
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Even when cars are working perfectly, you still have to factor in insurance, tax, MOT, servicing, parking, fuel.

Owning a car and having it on the road legally and in good nick, but never driving it, must cost around a grand a year.

Cars suck...all of the money out of your pocket!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Car insurance certainly sucks.

Oh, and cars are like corks - they drive into bottlenecks and stop everything moving. That sucks too.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Bikes might not suck or need feeding at £1.20 per litre, but mine still seems to swallow up all my money... :D
    Steve C

• My bikes' never going to break down so spectacularly

I used to have a steel framed Condor. I went through a few BBs. Eventually the BB shell had to be re tapped. Then I went through a few more BBs. Until it came time to re tap the BB shell again. But there wasn't enough metal left to cut new threads.

So I had to have the frame stripped, the remains of the BB shell melted out, a new BB shell inserted, and a respray (paint and melting temps don't agree) and rebuild.

Not long after the seat post seized in the frame (probably, with hindsight, due to no grease being used during the rebuild post respray). Cue: another strip, visit to the frame builder, melt out the seattube, another respray and rebuild.

Both of those "fixes" cost considerably more than the value of the frame, or the cost of an equivalent replacement.

Eventually brain defeated sentiment, and that frame went to eBay.

Bikes can cost a lot.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A