Numpties.

Joe_Pineapples
Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Had a top uplift day on Saturday at Innerleithen with the guys at Uplift Scotland.

http://tiny.cc/847of

Everything was going well, I launched out of the ski jump, railed the two berms leading to the last jump, only to be confronted, at speed, by two twats walking up the clearly labeled course throwing fcuking sticks for their dogs to chase!
After smacking on the Elixirs as hard as I could and avoiding a dog/walker/Devinci interface, I pointed out to Twat 1, quite forcefully I might add, that he was an "intellectually challenged rectal passage" and that he was "perambulating on a dedicated downhill mountain bike course". Imagine my surprise to be told, in no uncertain terms, that it was "Forestry Commission land and he could do what the fcuk he liked!"

So, boys and girls, beware of low flying black Labradors next time you're belting down The Matador.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sadly, and annoyingly, they CAN walk wherever the fark they like in Scotland, can't they?
    I remember talking to some guy in Glentress, who worked for the foreestry about how great it was to have free land access everywhere, then he pointed out this particular downside to it.
  • Yip, you're right, as was he.
    I just assumed that he'd have preferred to walk somewhere that didn't run the risk of someone steam-rolling his dogs. An M.O.D. firing range maybe?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Should've hit the fool.
  • chedabob wrote:
    Should've hit the fool.

Aye right, where there's blame, there's a claim.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Hate people that walk on trails :evil: Yesterday was at my FR spot, came round a berm and nearly crash into a bunch of little kids with there mum playing on the north shore - can't they see it's not really designed for that? :?
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    Sadly, and annoyingly, they CAN walk wherever the fark they like in Scotland, can't they?
    I remember talking to some guy in Glentress, who worked for the foreestry about how great it was to have free land access everywhere, then he pointed out this particular downside to it.

not exactly true, i can't remeber the section of the land access code thingy, but there is no access to land that is either designated as a playing field, or is marked out for a sporting event. otherwise us scots could walk onto a football pitch for example, during a match and not get knicked, try it you'll get lifted by the polis.
    Fancy a brew?
  • 77ric
    edited August 2010
    aha found a quick summary of the outdoor access code

Everyone can enjoy Scotland's outdoor access rights. In summary, some of the main features of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 are:
    • Everyone has the statutory right of access
    • Access rights apply to all land and inland waters, unless excluded (as below)
    • Access rights are for outdoor recreation, for crossing land and water, and for some educational and commercial purposes
    • Exercising access rights, and managing access land, must be done responsibly.
    Where access rights do not apply
    • Houses and gardens, and non-residential buildings and associated land
    • Land in which crops have been sown or are growing (although please note that the headrigs, endrigs and other margins of fields where crops are growing are not defined as crops, whether sown or unsown, and are therefore within access rights).
    • Land next to a school and used by the school
    Sports or playing fields when these are in use and where the exercise of access rights would interfere with such use
    Land developed and in use for recreation and where the exercise of access rights would interfere with such use
    • Golf courses (but you can cross a golf course provided you don't interfere with any games of golf)
    • Places like airfields, railways, telecommunication sites, military bases and installations, working quarries and construction sites, and
    • Visitor attractions or other places which charge for entry.
    Which activities are excluded from access rights?
    Access rights don't extend to:
    • Being on or crossing land for the purpose of doing anything which is an offence, such as theft, breach of the peace, nuisance, poaching, allowing a dog to worry livestock, dropping litter, polluting water or disturbing certain wild birds, animals and plants
    • Hunting, shooting, fishing
    • Any form of motorised recreation or passage (except by people with a disability using a vehicle or vessel adapted for their use) 
    Anyone responsible for a dog which is not under proper control, or
    • Anyone taking away anything from the land for a commercial purpose.
    Other related legislation supporting access to the countryside:
    • Public rights of way continue to exist and are unaffected by the Act
    • Public rights on the foreshore and in tidal waters will continue to exist
    • Liability - the Act makes clear that the extent of the duty of care owed by a land manager is unaffected
    • Access rights do not extend to criminal activity which is defined by various statutory offences.

i have emboldened the relative sections

of course you should have suggested another activity to the chap, one involving approx 2 feet of string and a lime, or in this case a melon.
    Fancy a brew?
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    I don't know whether it's stupidity or bloody mindedness.

Saw a mum with 2 small kids on bikes (she was walking) on the Red route at Glentress the other week. Why risk your kid's safety like that :roll:
  • Anonymous
    77ric wrote:
    aha found a quick summary of the outdoor access code
    Ah, that's interesting. Does that include forests as well then? I presumed the only places exempt would be privately owned land, things like athletics tracks, football pitches, that kind of thing.
  • 77ric
    yeah it applies to the entirety of Scotland, with the above exceptions of course.
    Fancy a brew?
  • Anonymous
    No, the exemptions I mean. Do they really mean that the guy had no right to be walking there?
  • 77ric
    No, the exemptions I mean. Do they really mean that the guy had no right to be walking there?

yep, he was on a dedicated sports field/area marked out for a sporting activity.

also interfering with recreational activity on land designated as such.

and his dog was running around chasing sticks, i would argue that said dog wasn't under control and therefore he had bugger all access rights
    Fancy a brew?
  • Anonymous
    Ah, got ya.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Works the other way as well, the biking trails in Scotland tend to be marked up to keep walkers out and the walking trails are marked up to keep cyclists out.

Certainly at Glentress there are plenty of cycling only trails and plenty of walking only trails so why anyone would risk walking with children there is beyond comprehension.

As for the OP, even if these idiots are allowed to be there why risk injury to them, the dogs and the riders with such a vast amount of hillside available. If there was an injury caused I think they would have a lot to answer for. Can't see courts being sympathetic about someone getting hurt when they're walking on a designated biking track..... Then again when did common sense ever get used in court!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Anonymous
    Steve_F wrote:
    Can't see courts being sympathetic about someone getting hurt when they're walking on a designated biking track
    Well there's certainly been several cases of pedestrians winning court cases when they were in the wrong, when it comes to road traffic.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    maybe.....they joined the "trail" in a place that wasn't signed and didn't know it was a bike track. Launching into a full scale rant might have just put their back up?? Seen it before, people out walking and decided to go "off piste" and there wasn't a sign where they joined the track, a quick word about to them and they quickly got off the trail without any quibbles
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    Met a woman walking her Collie up one of the climbs at Golspie. Not dangerous at the speed I climb but a bit unecessary as there is a perfectly good seperate footpath which goes to the top.

I said hello and explained to her that she was at particular risk if she walked up or down the downhill sections. She said it was surely no less safe than me cycling up them. I pointed out that I wouldn't be as the route was one way at which point she seemed to catch on.

Non cyclists just don't know how the trail centres work.

Much more annoyingly, last summer a family had abandoned their bikes all over the run in to Airs Rock at Laggan and didn't make any effort to move them when they saw me coming. The mum was on an Ellsworth and the rest were similarly kitted out so you'd have thought should have known a bit of 'trail etiquette'.
    Shot by both sides...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Met a lady heading up the Wall a few weeks ago, with a large hairy monster (down Sheepsteeth - I think it was a dog)

She was just off the trail, obviously does it regularly.

I was a bit suprised, we said hello, she asked if there were any more behind me in my group (no - I'm the slow one).

And we both went on our way. No harm done.

And she was cute, but the dog was scary.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    Met a lady
    I'd like a go on her.
    cooldad wrote:
    And she was cute, but the dog was scary.
    My ex was the other way round, she had a really cute dog (and pussy) but she was scary as hell.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I ca`me across four dimwits walking down Follow The Dog @ Cannock this afternoon, they caused me to stop as they were right on the singletrack trail, one did apologise and I did mention that they were walking against the flow on a red trail dedicated solely for mountain bikes.
    They didn't reply and I guess that was the sound of no one giving a shyte
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    I found this absolutely hilarious. This happened to me at glentress :S Managed to run into some form of mongrel. You would think that a 16 stone, 6ft2 rider on a 30+lb bike would mean that its kentucky fried jack russel, however it made me look like a bloody tool.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    BurtonM wrote:
    I found this absolutely hilarious. This happened to me at glentress :S Managed to run into some form of mongrel. You would think that a 16 stone, 6ft2 rider on a 30+lb bike would mean that its kentucky fried jack russel, however it made me look like a bloody tool.

That's why you've got to pop a wheelie and use the dog to get some mad air :lol:
  • Its amazing how much some people really don't care about inconveniencing people while they know their in the wrong.

I wish this world was ridden from asshole.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Simply put, some people are idiots. Don't even have two brain cells to rub together. No other way of explaining it really.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    I wish this world was ridden from asshole.
    But then everyone would be full of shit, even more than now.
  • I wish this world was ridden from asshole.
    But then everyone would be full of shit, even more than now.

Ahh very true, valid point my friend.