Camelbak Cleaning Problems.

*AL*
*AL* Posts: 1,185
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Twice I've cleaned my Camelbak with the correct Camelbak Cleaning Tabs, I followed the instructions to the letter and flushed the bladder out 12-15 times with fresh water.

Both times after cleaning it I've filled it with bottled water. but the cleaning tabs leaves the water with the most disgusting 'chemical' tang.

Is there anything else you guys use that I could try ?

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    If you need to get a new bladder, keep it in the freezer. Problem solved.
  • *AL*
    It is a new bladder, it's only been used 3 times.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    Get some sterilizing for baby bottles from Boots or a supermarket. It's a lot cheaper.
  • MarkLG wrote:
    Get some sterilizing for baby bottles from Boots or a supermarket. It's a lot cheaper.

+1

I picked some up from Wilko's for less that a quid. Faultless and 'funny taste' free.

Michael
  • *AL*
    Milton Sterilising Fluid and the tablets old people soak their false teeth in were suggested by the Mrs not to leave an after taste, the problem I have is removing the taste that's already there ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Keep mine in the freezer, but always tastes of rubber anyway. So does everyone else I've asked.

Don't use anything to clean it, I figure frozen germs can't hurt me.

Or fill it with Whisky, masks the taste.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have only ever used normal tap water to clean mine. Mostly the day I have used it but I have left it once or twice. Then just hang it up on an airer and its perfectly clean (its a Lezyne one that has an anti-microbe coating inside). Never been one for the big money of camelbaks.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    does anyone no if they can be put in the microwave ? being as we sterilise our babies stuff in the microwave in a proper container.
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    *AL* wrote:
    the problem I have is removing the taste that's already there ?

fill your bladder with water and add some bicarbonate of soda, seal it up and leave it overnight, you might need to repeat that process a few times but it should help. funnily enough also works well on tupperware.

also really good for cleaning your limes and string after you have used them.
    Fancy a brew?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Another vote for Milton tabs - nothing beats a good scrub with a brush and a hose cleaner though...

freezer in the interim works well too!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    I found that after a visit to th freezer the ergolock valve developed a leak. I guess it had water in that froze and split a seal. No germs but a very wet leg! :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just rinse it properly with water.
    Why are you washing it so often if it's only been used twice anyway? I only tend to clean mine after it's been stood for a long while.
  • cicatriz
    cicatriz Posts: 411
    Not being funny but do you remember to fully flush out the tube too. It has a lot higher surface area to volume ratio than the bladder and usually needs a good few minutes under the tap to clear it.
  • *AL*
    Why are you washing it so often if it's only been used twice anyway? I only tend to clean mine after it's been stood for a long while.

This.

I have an Octane which I picked up cheap-ish, it's ideal for a few tools and a tube when I have a quick blast after work, rather than taking the Mule.

Will try the Bi Carb tonight and see if that makes any difference.
  • +1 for boots own sterilising tablets. £1 for 60 or so.

I rinse after each use and once a month or so I fill it with solution, flush a bit out of the hose to get the solution down it and leave it for 20 minutes.

The only unrecoverable camelbak I have seen is one a friend put soup in and wondered why it got skanky.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Camelbak soup! That's awesome!!

I always get the fluid myself, so I can use it completely neat if thing go properly pear shaped.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Get yourself down your local boozer and borrow some line cleaner.

Failing that i use Boots sterilizing fluid. As Yeehaa said if its all gone wrong use it neat.

Taste wise, I like my tap water from home, can't get away with (but suffer) the water when visiting mum, and do tend to go all poncy posh and buy bottled water when going away with the bike.

I didn't notice the plasticy taste with my Camelbak, i did expect it at first though.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Fair enough all the suggestions for Milton tablets BUT not really answering the question. As stated though, maybe the tube or valve is the taste? I find ice cubes (I know they are tasteless) and just tap water actually tastes fine after a few gulps.

p.s. I use milton tablets but won't continue to recommend them until I get a replacement from Camelbak and try them again without problem - the inside protective cover is peeling in little bits.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Darn it I nearly added I always chuck a few ice cubes in.

Maybe should also have said I hang the bladder up and run it dry 4/5 times through the bite valve so its fully flushed through with 12/15ltrs of fresh water.

Used to run pubs, maybe thats why i run so much water through. Also I fill it up and empty a few times from the filling cap to rinse the corners.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    fletch8928 wrote:
    Darn it I nearly added I always chuck a few ice cubes in.

Maybe should also have said I hang the bladder up and run it dry 4/5 times through the bite valve so its fully flushed through with 12/15ltrs of fresh water.

Used to run pubs, maybe thats why i run so much water through. Also I fill it up and empty a few times from the filling cap to rinse the corners.

Every time you use it?
  • i only ever have water in mine, cause i CBA with all the various stuff that should be in it. and i just rinse mine, blow through the tube, and then hang it on a clothes peg, with the hose shoved down inside it to keep the 2 sides apart,

not got ill from it or noticed any funny tastes lately.
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    I milton ours, or use whatever steralizing tablets I have lying around, then to get rid of the chemical taste I fill the bladders with cheapo sugar free cola over night - not sure how it works but it takes away nasty chemical tastes it can leave a slight sweet taste if you don't wash it out fully but this is certainly not unpleasant - this is how I have treated 4 bladders for the last 7 years and they still are going strong.
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?