Who's up for London to Portsmouth on the 29th?

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm planning a route from London to Pompey for a ride on the 29th of August. It will be around the 100 mile mark for me (starting in Barnet) and the route will be going along country lanes rather than the more direct A-road route.

The train back into Victoria will be about £14 or about £27 into Waterloo and, according to the website, bikes shouldn't be a problem. There are loads of trains back to London (about 3 an hour), so if we can't all get on one, there isn't a long wait for the next one.

StuAff is lives in Pompey, so I'm sure he'll be able to recommend a good place to have a drink and a bite to eat.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll contact the train company to confirm the numbers of bikes will be OK.

Come on peeps, join me for my August Century!
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'll be down South that weekend but I'll be doing the Burgess Hill Rumble on the 29th as might a few others.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm planning a route from London to Pompey for a ride on the 29th of August. It will be around the 100 mile mark for me (starting in Barnet) and the route will be going along country lanes rather than the more direct A-road route.

The train back into Victoria will be about £14 or about £27 into Waterloo and, according to the website, bikes shouldn't be a problem. There are loads of trains back to London (about 3 an hour), so if we can't all get on one, there isn't a long wait for the next one.

StuAff is lives in Pompey, so I'm sure he'll be able to recommend a good place to have a drink and a bite to eat.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll contact the train company to confirm the numbers of bikes will be OK.

Come on peeps, join me for my August Century!

Sorry- I'm teetotal, and don't ever dine out round here. Plenty of decent options though, I'm sure. I'd be careful of the back roads in the Petersfield/East & West Meon area, if you go that way- many of them have sections of potholes either side of gravel. Might have fancied this myself, but I'm doing big rides Friday night/Saturday morning and again on the Monday. So I think I'll have a lie in Sunday, though I might be in the neighbourhood for the afternoon.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I'll be interested to know what the train companies say because of all the articles I've read in the press about the horrors of trying to take a bike on trains (can't provide any links though).

Anyway:

It's a bit too far for me to get to but I hope you have fun. :D

Have you also asked in the road forum, and if you like long distance rides why not take up audax riding?
    Steve C
  • That weekend has been set aside for boozing and sleeping, as all the weekends between last friday and that one are working ones.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I would have been up for this but I'm of to ride the Pyrenees c2c on the 26th. Rode to Chichester on my own on Sat (88 miles) which was a really nice ride despite the weather but it would have been more fun with some company. Good luck with getting this together though and maybe next time.....
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    if it wasnt the sunday i'd probably be up for it
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I would be interested but I might be at a house warming thing so not really sure... I've clicked yes, but I mean may be....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • tdd
    tdd Posts: 2
    I'm actually thinking of doing it myself but at a later date, would love to know the route you take - do you have a gpx or something on bikely.com planned?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    How about the other way around? :P
    FCN 2 to 8