Target training pace

Philgr
Philgr Posts: 66
edited August 2010 in Health, fitness & training
I'm trying to judge where I am with my fitness after been off the bike for 8 months

I got back on the bike for the first time this week and so far I have covered 32miles in a mixture of road and single track on my trek ex9.8 full sus, my average page is approximate 5min 30 on my longest ride of 12.5 miles

Obviously I will try to bring this down , or increase the intensity - add in some more hills etc..

What would be considered a good pace ????

Thaks in advance

Phil G
08 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
09 Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Comments

• What do you mean by 5min30seconds for a pace? Is this how long it takes you to ride a mile?

Sorry just don't understand the pace. I normally try for maintaining a 35kmh pace. Not sure how much that conversts into MPH though.
  • Philgr
    Philgr Posts: 66
    Maybe i should have been more clear,

i meant 5min 30sec Per Mile Average Pace over a 12.5mile ride, i think this works out as an average of 10.9mph

If your doing 35kmh thats 22mph which is going some
    08 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    09 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Agree, 22mph even on the road is a very good effort.

Pace/speed offroad is fairly meaningless, there are too many variables. You could do a route one day at 15mph, it can rain heavily, and you'll struggle to do it at 10mph a few hours later. Terrain etc also come into play. As long as you're happy with how you're doing it's fairly irrelevant!