VJ Day 65th Anniversery

john-e-big-guns
john-e-big-guns Posts: 489
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
The Forgotten War Heroes......My father fought out in the Burmesse Jungle in WW2.... Scots Guards...a Sgt in SBS 2 Commando....mentioned in Dispatches with 2Oak Leafs and 2Burma Stars..was missing behind enemy lines for months on end distroying Japanees instlations...he never spoke of his actions ...but a few years ago I found a book of the SBS[Special Boat Section] in which he was mentioned..which was proud moment for me....I will detail later

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I thought I saw a Zero flying over yesterday, NO KIDDING!

We get a lot of old planes,. doing commemerative shows etc.

Had a Spitfire a while back.

Perhaps there's an airshow going on this w/end?

There was a huge one in Rhyl abot 2 weeks back.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Just got back from a run into town to see the VJ Vets outside the town hall. Stood around for a while, had a chat with a couple of the soldiers and gave them my thanks. I so wish I'd joined the army when I left school, that is my biggest regret.

My Grand-father was in Burma, something he never spoke of. When WW2 'ended' he came back and shortly after he was sent to Korea, again he never spoke of it. Having spent time reading about the conflicts I can understand why - he died back in 1990 and I miss him greatly.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I was watching the BBC news this morning and there was a WWII veterern on talking about his time onboard ship and the kamakazi pilots etc. He mentioned his ship the HMS Indomidable. That was the same aircraft carrier my dad served on during WWII. Maybe they were freinds or at least knew each other
    Dad never spoke much about his wartime service. I miss him. :(
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    The Forgotten War Heroes......My father fought out in the Burmesse Jungle in WW2.... Scots Guards...a Sgt in SBS 2 Commando....mentioned in Dispatches with 2Oak Leafs and 2Burma Stars..was missing behind enemy lines for months on end distroying Japanees instlations...he never spoke of his actions ...but a few years ago I found a book of the SBS[Special Boat Section] in which he was mentioned..which was proud moment for me....I will detail later

He wasn't out and about in Burma with Freddie Chapman was he?