Tubeless tyres and avoiding getting punctures HELP

The Tone™
The Tone™ Posts: 31
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi people,

I have tubeless Maxxis tyres but I am using an inner tube as that is how the bike came to me. Today I got a puncture from a thorn, I've fixed it but I want to prevent punctures in the future.

Would I be better of going tubeless (what's involved with that) or should I just get something like a slime lined inner tube?

Any help would be great, thank you.

Comments

• Alex ASD-1 disc rims

:)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I think you will need a conversion kit to tubeless.

I don't like slime stuff, tried a few different ones and they either were to watery so didn't seal anything and just made a mess or really upset the balance of the bike ruining the handling
  • Changing the handling is what I'm worried about :(

I'm really new to all this tubeless stuff. I have no idea wheather it is a good or bad thing. If I go tubeless do I then HAVE to run a tubeless tyre?

It's all so confusing lol.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You don't have to run a tubeless tyre but you do have to run sealant if you don't.

Stans sealent is ok though
  • Thanks Peter.

Is there a real advantage to going tubeless then, the kits are about £30 aren't they?
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Tubeless tyres in themselves tend to be tougher - an extra layer of material in them to make them airtight helps - so they resist tears, snakebites, thorns etc a bit better than regular tyres. They are a bit heavier for it hoever this is kinda made up by not having the weight of inner tubes.

In a year of use - with my continental rubber queens - I have never had a punture! With a front maxxis highroller (LUST) - I have managed to pinch flat it, I was running it soft at 26psi but I was still surprised. Trail side fix was quick with a patch on the inside of the tyre and then 5 mins of furious forearm action to pump it back up!! My XT rims seal up excellently (UST ready) - normally you need a track pump for tubeless or a C02 canister so I always carry spare inner tubes.

Setting up tubeless with stans kit to seal the rims etc is a bit more of a faff and you dod need to use some sealant for a conversion whereas on a full UST wheel you don't have to.

The main advantage of tubeless is durability if at the expense of some extra home maintenence, but I'm a believer that there is a slight performance upgrade in terms of grip too.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Conti Mtn Kings on Mavic Crossland, have been great, tubeless.
    But, Spec Eskar on new Rigida Taurus tubeless have been a bit of a nightmare!

So, I may swap em over to see if I get better results.
    Just bought a pint of Stans sealant to use.

Think you just have to keep at it, don't give up.

" Use the Forks, young Skywalker, as tyre levers..." lol!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit old fashioned here, but with all the threads on tubeless problems, faffing around with sealants etc I can't really see the point.
    Takes 5 minutes to replace a tube on the trail, another 5 to fix the puncture when you get back. Unless you get more than one puncture on a ride I suppose.
    Only had one in the last few years, so not an issue for me.

Humph over
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    cooldad wrote:
    Bit old fashioned here, but with all the threads on tubeless problems, faffing around with sealants etc I can't really see the point.
    Takes 5 minutes to replace a tube on the trail, another 5 to fix the puncture when you get back. Unless you get more than one puncture on a ride I suppose.

Humph over

Temping fate is never good :wink:

Generally I agree, unless you have proper UST wheels and tyres it seems to be a major hassle for not much benefit.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cooldad wrote:

Humph over

+1... tubeless has never interested me in the slightest!
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    cooldad wrote:

Same with everything in life, you only usually hear the horror stories.

For every thread you mentioned there are many, many people who are delighted with running tubeless, they just don't start a thread about it.
  • Thank you for the advice everyone.

After getting ANOTHER puncture yesterday 12 miles from home and needing to be rescued, I have today bought a Stans kit and I'm going tubeless.

All the advice about was taken into account and after watching videos on You Tube I was instantly sold on them. I can't wait to start driving over nails and ramming spokes through my sidewalls lol.

Thanks everyone