£500 fixie/single flip flop

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
edited August 2010 in Road general
ish...

Alright, this is probably a common one:

Got £400-500 burning a hole in my pocket for a bike.

I've decided to get a fixie - the reasoning is as follows:

I'm completely in love with road riding, and have been for about 6 years(i.e. when I was 16).

Been doing an awful lot of riding around Cambridge on my road bike, which has been supplementing my normal commute riding pretty much everywhere (that bike is a no-suspension mountain bike with slicks which i've had since the age of 12, but something I want to leave in Cambridge with the rents).

However, I've properly moved to london now (SE16...) and have a job where commuting on my bike not an option.

I've figured getting my road bike down here is a little pointless - I'll have to take a train to go anywhere properly, and I can't lock it up anywhere, given it's all race stuff (nor would I want to).

Instead, i've decided that a fixed gear solved both problems - I can use it as a runaround to go places outside of work, see friends etc, and it can double up as a bike I can train on. I can improve my pedalling technique, and I think the fixie-style would certainly be a good workout.

The drawback is naturally that it's a bit limited on where it can go, but anywhere round London will be fine, and if I'm that desperate I can always head to Cambridge and pick up my road bike.

Thus...

The best bike i've come across so far which fits the job is a Kona Paddy Waggon, but it's a little too expensive, knocking on £600. Had a ride on one, albeit a frame size too big, and it was rather nice.

I'm too ill informed nor have the patience to build up my own bike.

Any ideas?

Comments

• stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    If you like the Kona get the extra bit of money and buy it, you may have to suffer money shortage for a while but that'll pass and you'll still have the bike :)
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Of course it depends on your size...

But Evans are currently selling the Paddy Wagon at £399.

HTH.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec017275
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    have you considered building one yourself?

I've just finished building mine and its of a higher spec than that paddy wagon, and completely custom to how I want it. Cost me £480 in total. Mega happy with it!!!

Lots of good places for parts about, I recomend either ebay or if you google charlie the bike mongor he's got loads of great stuff!
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Ollieda wrote:
    have you considered building one yourself?
    !

The OP stated this is not an option!

For £399 the Kona is a steal. I have been looking at the Specialized Langster myself, but seriously considering getting the Kona instead.

:D
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I've been contemplating getting a fixie/single speed for a while now - they any good for training?
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    edited August 2010
    This might seem a little off-topic for your budget, but...

If your interested in single speed for commuting in London, then it's worth considering one of the BTwin's.

Its rock solid, cheap and will get you around London as well as any >£1,000 fixie. There are a few benefits, being cheap if(when) it gets stolen you wont break the bank. pretty ordinary kit can be replaced with a better spec as times goes on. Let's face it London conditions wreak's havoc with any bike and it will wear out.

The only down side is some peoples perceived sense of fashion may be offended, but I don't care much what couriers think anyway.
  • Bunneh wrote:
    I've been contemplating getting a fixie/single speed for a while now - they any good for training?

I got into fixie because I wanted to do "training" stuff and thought they would improve my spin technique.

But I don't think it help with training all that much with the exception of a few over-passes on my commute. But spinning isn't an effective riding style for me, I'm a grinder and that's that, by trying to change my natural style, I'd only slowed down some.

I do love the feel of riding a fixie and how its more controlled and better for getting through tough traffic. So I still ride them, just not for training.